Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake and clutch pedal lateral play / movement

martyn

Both my brake and clutch pedal have noticeable lateral play of about 1mm or so.  I can feel this if I put my foot on the pedal lightly and wiggle from side to side.  I can also observe the movement by removing the pedal box cover and pushing/pulling by hand.

It is as if both pedals could do with a washer on either side. However, I have no reason to believe the previous owner dismantled or modified anything since the car was built at the factory.

Is this normal and do they all do this?  Or should I do something about it?

I dont believe the movement is a safety issue, however all the other controls on the car feel nicely responsive and tactile but these pedals are letting the side down.  That and it is really disconcerting when you press the brake pedal at a funny angle and feel the clunk and slight movement!

I've noticed this as well and I'm surprised nobody else has replied. On all the Sevens I've owned there have been varying amounts of slap at the pedals but I've never rectified it, quite amusing really for something that purports to be a race car for the road and for the same reason I prefer the feel of a non-removable steering wheel over the standard removable splined q/r mechanism which I always felt added play (other better q/r's are available).

I may have a go at trying to lose some of the pedal play on my present car over the summer now you've reminded me although I guess some play will have to remain to allow for heat soak from the engine bay and the relevant expansion.