Click here if you are having website access problems ×

silencer

Andrew Senior

The Vauxhall race exhaust is a 4 into 1 system.

According to my dyno man (who was trying to sell me a new exhaust system), the big restriction is not the silencer but the diameter of the single pipe between the 4 into 1 collector bit and the silencer. I forget the exact dimensions but it's only a few mm bigger in diameter than each of the four headers that feed into it.

On my 4-2-1 system the single tube into the silencer (ie the into 1 bit) is approx 70mm dia.

Thanks. I have spoken to Techcraft and to GDS about this and I'm not sure whether it is the silencer or the collector, but what is certain is that both are a lot smaller than the combined size of the 4 pipes that go into them.

The solution, I'm told, is to get a whole new exhaust that has the added advantage of having equal length primaries but the disadvantage of massive cost.

What I'm trying to do is to get a compromse solution of a much bigger pipe downstream of the primaries. This involves finding someone to enlarge the collector exit and then to fit the silencer. I'm intending to have a lambda probe put in too as I'm also converting to throttle bodies.

Techcraft can supply the silincer and if I can't find a secondhand box, I'm going to buy one shortly. Then you have to get the silencer pipe bent to the right bend to give clearance against the body. GDS will do this for you.

If you can't take the car to them there is a problem in that the bending might not fit perfectly. Some people want to have the car so they get it right first time but GDS will do it if you send them the old box with collector attached and some idea of how much clearance you need between the box and the body, on the undrrstanding that you might need to post the thing back to them if it doesn't fit first time. In my case going there at the weekend is out of the question - my wife would not permit such an extravagant use of my kart racing time.

I haven't dealt with them yet but both these people are very helpful, and they know each other, so you can arrange this work over the phone during dull moments at the office.

AJSenior