Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter wiring, would this method work?

Neil F

I'm about to wire up a starter button/toggle switch that I've had kicking around for a few weeks.

I had done a search on wiring these up and was a little concerned that most of the suggestions left the starter button permanently live unless the ignition key and barrel were used.

Now I'm probably missing something, but is there any reason why, when considering the following diagram here , I couldn't just connect the "input" of the starter button straight to terminal 15, i.e. pick up the live from the ignition switch (once operated) instead of having its own permanent live feed?

I'm guessing that there is some current drain issue or wire amperage problem?

Neil.

Edited by - Neil F on 7 Feb 2003 18:14:34

Neil

You can wire it up as you suggest and there will be no problem with current drain or wire amperage etc. Use cable at least as thick as the red/white that goes currently (excuse the pun) from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. and you'll be fine. It's about 8 - 10 Amp cable.

I wired mine up last week the same way (aircraft style red switch with single toggle for ignition in first position and momentary push to next position to start). It's much safer to wire it the way you suggested as it decreases the possibility of an accidental start.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

Edited by - Chris W on 7 Feb 2003 18:33:53

Neil,

Perhaps the only 'problem' you'll face is physically locating the wires/connectors on the same terminal on the back of the switch.

The wiring diagrams were drawn using information provided by other BlatChat posters and have been proven to work. 😬

Good luck,

Tony

Waiting for my BRG SV kit. 😬

Safety issue, possibly, 'cos not everyone disconnects the battery when working on the mechanicals.

However, it is sometimes useful to operate the starter without an ignition feed, i.e. priming the oil pump.

You pays yer money and takes yer risks.

In the interests of safety and in order to have use of a starter button that turns the engine but doesn't start it, for occasional use when tinkering, it would still be far safer to put a single-pole-double-throw (SPDT) switch in the circuit. In one position (normal mode) it would connect the starter button through the ignition and in the second position (tinker-mode) it would connect the starter button directly to the battery.

The switch could be hidden away under the dash so only you know it's there for those few times you need to use it. You could even make it a small key-lock operated switch so there's no danger of its being accidentally changed over.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 9 Feb 2003 12:04:53

Edited by - Chris W on 9 Feb 2003 13:07:33

Hi,

thats why I use the spare terminal on the ignition barrel to get the system in "tinker" mode...

The spare terminal gets power when the key is in the first position which leave the ignition off, so you can crank the eingine without starting it.

Getting the live straight before the key switch has imho the disadvantage that the engine would crank even if the key is not in... not what I really like if some kids press the button while parked and the car jumps forward into the next parked car.

Klaus

1700+ X-flow

Combustion is not a secret