Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Instrument light switch, trip odometer reset...and more

smross

My '84 Sprint arrived yesterday and I'm delighted.  The previous owner under-represented the car which is a refreshing change from the usual, "let's put lipstick on the pig and see what she'll bring", mentality.

Poking around the car I have some questions;  First, is there a switch to turn on the instrument lights or am I looking at an electrical problem?  All the exterior lights function perfectly as do the illuminated rocker switches.  Second, how does one reset the trip odometer?  My car has the black-faced Smiths instruments.

Last, is an owners and shop manual available for the early Crossflow live-axle cars?

As always, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Steve Ross

First, is there a switch to turn on the instrument lights or am I looking at an electrical problem?

Not usually. Do any of the instrument lights come on with the sidelights? Do you have a multimeter already?

Second, how does one reset the trip odometer?

Look for a button on the bottom rail of the dash near the steering column.

... is an owners and shop manual available for the early Crossflow live-axle cars?

Send me a Private Mail with your email address and I'll let you have what I've got.

Jonathan

PS: Could you add a photo of the dash and a close-up of the speedometer?

Mortal embarrassment.  Ahhhh, never mind about the dash lights.  I just went into the garage, shut all the overhead lights off, turned on the Caterham's lights and there it was, extremely dim instrument lighting, barely visible, but they all work.  I saw the thread on instrument LED's.  I may go that route.  Sorry about that.

I'll look for that trip meter button and I'll PM you with my email address.  Thanks, Jonathan.

Regards,

Steve Ross

Look for a small knob down under the outer dashboard / scuttle  edge directly in front of the head light flash switch, if it's the same as mine, but lhd, this is the trip zero, turn it, and the numerals will pick up one by one until zero is in the trip display, real old fashion inter active motoring, and all the more fun for it. 

Nigel.