Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake pedal travel.

Occulomency

Since I moved my pedals to their farthest position, the brake pedal seems to have a lot of travel before any effect is apparent.

When the brakes do cut in they work well, but it just feels wrong to be pressing the pedal that far down before anything happens.

I've had a look at the mechanism, but I can't see a way of adjusting travel without moving the pedal upwards on it's travel arc. I'd like to avoid this as I've only just got comfortable.

Is there a fix for this or is it just a case of fixed geometry and something I need to get used to?

Thanks.

Fraser.

Well, the geometry is fixed insofar as the mechanical advantage (m/a) of pedal pad to master-cylinder pushrod is fixed (at about 3.5:1).  When you move the pivot point forward, the pad of the pedal moves away around 4.5 times as far.  I think the most you can do is to lengthen the pushrod a little to bring the pedal pad a bit closer. 

However, I see that CC offer what they call a "high-effort" brake pedal.  This would appear to have a much lower m/a of around 2.4.  It would certainly reduce pedal travel, but I don't know whether this would help you, or is even suitable for your car.

JV