Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension adjustment spanner

glasgow

I think screwdrivers are fine - they engage the full depth of the hole rather than the top 1/8" - much less chance of slipping. As i only used once not much point spending on c spanners. I do agree in having the right tool for the job but in this case, the alternative works fine.

i have some screws that you put in with a hammer!!

Ian

A

There's an interesting engineering problem on tandems: how to set the tension on the chain that connects the two sets of pedals etc. On my Dawes tandems it's done with an eccentric bottom bracket. And a decapitated snug-fitting screwdriver is the perfect tool. As Ian says you can get much better engagement than with a peg spanner with typically short pegs.

http://www.bike198.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eccentric-bottom-bracket-300x225.jpg

Jonathan

I have a custom-modified crosshead screwdriver.

I found a cheapish screwdriver of just the right diameter to fit in the holes. I then ground the head off flat, heated the shaft and put a 30 degree (ish) bend in it about 2 inches from the tip.

Works a treat. The first one I tried snapped when I tried to bend it, I think it was probably too good steel. The second one was a cheaper one and bent nicely after heating to red hot.