Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Grrrrrr ... *&!%ing Waxoil handpump won't work

Phil Bishop

Give me strength. After plucking up enough courage to get on with the rotten job, and spending half a day warming and shaking the can so the stuff inside runs like paint, I can't get the stupid little handpump to work. It'll pump up white spirit, but put it in the waxoil can and - nothing. I bought one of the red plastic pumps that looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker when you open the box. Anybody else had problems with one of these things? There was another type of pump on the shelf - did I buy the wrong one?

*mad*

I bought a can with a black plastic pump. It worked initially but doesn't any more. Well, it only dribbles now but I digress. When it was working, the stream of waxoil that came out can only be described as "landrover" so I scooped a bunch out and thinned it down a bit more, then put it in the otherwise useless spray gun that came with my air compressor. This gave a satisfactorily thin covering.

Get someone to lend you a compressor for a day.

Use it with a parafin (degreaser) gun.

Makes the job almost effortless

The plastic pumps are OK when they work, but as you have found out, that's not very often.

OR

Try thinning down the warm Waxoyl with 50% white spirit.

It takes quite a bit longer to dry but the end result will be the same (if not better)

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

phil

only thing that made the job workable was a very friendly garage which lent me a bay with lift and compresed air spray gun

i'd never have got the same access/coverage with axle stands and plastic pump, well worth the bung/favour

would agree with being generous with white spirit and keeping can warm

in retrospect, would use head cover too (for me) 😬

jerry

I just bought 5 litres of Waxoyl with their pump and was planning to start this job in a few days. After what I just read, I think I will take the pump back to Halfords and get a refund.

I notice that Argos do an electric spray gun for £30. It has a 1 litre capacity and is suitable, inter alia, for solvent based paints so should be OK with Waxoyl. It also has an adjustable flow rate so it sounds ideal. Has anyone used this at all before I go and get one?

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

*thumbup*Thanks, fellas! Thought it was me being a complete luddite. The Argos gun sounds interesting - but a bit dear for a one off job (hopefully). Hiring the stuff for the day would probably cost the same or more. Perhaps I'll check out the mechanic at work who looks after the (Blood SXervice) fleet vehicles. We have a pit in the garage and probably the rest of the gear too.

Phil

If you have used the pump before, chances are that particles of waxoyl have clogged up the nozzle. Try immersing it in boiling hot water and then pumping it to release the old dryed waxoyl.

If its new I had a similar problem. It needs priming for a while before it starts to work. Also the nozzle at the end is adjustable, so try this in various positions. FWIW I've had no problems with the Halfords pump, its worked every time.

*thumbup*

Colin,

It was a new gun. As for priming, well I pumped at it for an hour to no avail. I can think of better ways to expend pumping energy with my right hand (Oh! what a giveaway) and I had the extension tube in, so there shouldn't have been a problem with the nozzle setting. The thing burbled and spat a bit at the business end (I had previously tried it out with white spirit), but just didn't seem to have the cojones to lift the heavier liquid all the way. Incidentally, I like the makers' reference to a unique 360 degree diffuser on the extension tube - on examination this appears to be a nail stuck in the end of the tube. When I try again, I wonder if the other (black) applicator might be a better idea. I've looked at the paint spray gun in the Argos catalogue, but there doesn't seem to be a way of reaching the more awkward places with it - like the transmission tunnel or around parts of the engine bay. I'll have to buy something, as I regret to say I ended the day yesterday by jumping on the thing with both feet and its remains are now in the bin.....

Going back almost 20 years (sigh) I found a garden pump up pressure sprayer worked well when waxoiling the underside and inside the chassis members of my GT6 when restoring it. Wonder where the car is now - spent every evening/weekend working on restoring every nut and bolt for 18 months, got it finished, went to Cornwall for a holiday in it with my wife and she became pregnant while we were there (well we were on holiday!) so 6 months later I had to sell it ☹️

Waxoil??? Farmers on the Canadian Praries, where winters can and do get down to -45 degrees C Spray their Farm achines, including Million $ Combines with simple stupid Kerosene (it evaporates leaving a waxy residue)as ample protection against winter conditions that will kill an exposed Human inside of 15 mins.

Seems a bit silly to worry much about the Chassis tube innards of a Toy car that lives in a Garage for the winter:-)

Phil,

Take the stupid extension thingy off and try it without. If that fails take it back to Halfords and get a replacement.

Believe me, they do work. Also the secret is getting the waxoyl really hot so its nice and runny. Alternatively get one of those indoor plant sprayers. They are ideal for getting in the nooks and crevises/crevices/......places where you can't normally get!!

*thumbup*

For the last 12 months I have had a selection of trigger spray dispensers filled with the likes of WD40 and Waxoyl. The Waxoyl dispenser had a nominal amount of white spirit added to the brew, I make no effort to heat it, just give it a bit of a shake and it work and works very well, every time. Purchased them from Cromwell Tools by mail order, they have branches all over the country, their web site www.cromwell-tools.co.uk, part code KEN-540-5250K @ £3.60 each + VAT. They also do an 800pp free catalogue, which is worth asking for!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the 222bhp yellow Sausage delivery machine