Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailer tyres

Graham Howard

My PRG trailer came with cross ply tyres 145 x 10 6 ply , and the current ones are Deli brand . These seem to last about 2 to 3 years and I have always bought cross ply's as replacements.

Looking at the tyres today they all have cracks in the tread so they need to be changed.  I think most people use radials these days and I have found the Marshall  KR11 referenced in other threads. 

What 10" Trailer tyres are people using and where is the best place to buy them?

Luckily the A539's on the Caterham should do another season!

Graham

In my experience mini tyres are a false economy but then I do have the added weight of a shuttle. When a tyre blows it usually damages the mudguard so I fit 8 ply tyres and I have never had one blow or the tread/sidewalls crack. They are not significantly more expensive and given the value of tow car, 7 and trailer I prefer to pay the extra.

• Support Team

Having suffered a trailer tyre blowout (on the same day Michael Calvert lost 2 tyres *yikes* ) I switched to 8 ply as suggested by Mark. My local tyre fitters ordered them in and fitted for me.

On a twin axle trailer, if one tyre blows then the adjacent one will likely shortly follow as it gets peppered with steel from the blown tyre.

• Area Representative

I also think Mini tyres are a false economy, I've just changed my trailer tyres but only because they were 10 years old & never had a problem, the cost of four was less than a pair on the Seven. 

I don't think the agro caused by a tyre failure is worth trying to 'save' a few quid.