Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Orange warning light in tachometer

PhilR

Hi,

Just waking the 7 from a 5 month slumber. It is a 2002 ex-academy car.

When I turned the ignition on the orange warning light came on and I have no recollection of this happening in the last 7 year.

Started the engine and all seems well and normal apart from the orange light is still on.

I am unwilling to warm it up and take it out until I know what it means.

Searching the archives only points to the light being a gear change indicator (R400) but I thought it was something to do with a low oil pressure indicator, hence my concerns.  If oil pressure then I would have expected a red light.

The oil pressure dial indicates a steady 4 but I have stopped the engine anyway just in case.

I cannot find the user manual so I cannot check it for information.

Can someone look in their user manual for a 1.6k circa 2002 to see what it in indicating?

Thanks.

Phil

• Area Representative

I don't think there is an oil pressure warning light and in any event if gauge shows 4 bar then you are fine. I suspect it is either alternator not charging or more probably handbrake warning light/low brake fluid.

I've had a look at the Handbooks:

Engine warning - Amber

If this lamp illuminates with the engine running it indicates a malfunction within the engine control system. Each malfunction will have a specific code and description and can be read using an OBD generic scan tool. This should be carried out as soon as possible. If engine warning light persists, please seek qualified assistance from Caterham. 

But I don't know if that's right for your model and year.

If you'd like a copy please send me a Private Mail with your email address.

Jonathan

Thanks for the quick replies.  PM received, thanks Jonathan.

The hand brake is under the dash and has no indicator, I will check the brake oil level as a mater of course.

An engine control system malfunction sounds bad.  I will look and see what information an 'OBD generic scan tool' will give, I may have to buy one asap.  The manual is for the newer models but it does seem to be the likely culprit. I will check out the wires around the ecu and other bits, just in case.

Phil

• Area Representative

I suspect its actually a 2001 academy spec car rather than 2002 (2002 Academy cars were the first to have tunnel mounted hand brakes).

I suspect the light you're talking about is the LED that was designed to be used as a gear shift light when using the SuperSport ECU.

Is the light you're talking about in the centre above the needle axis?

When I swapped to a SS ECU (my car is an early 2002 car), I never managed to get it working with the ECU despite the wiring all being good, so I used an external shift light set up.

I then modified installed an oil pressure switch, and modified the wiring to use the tacho mounted LED as a low oil pressure warning (but I did it over ten years ago, and can't remember the detail....)

Is it possible there is damp anywhere? I recall that for the LED to illuminate, the core from the tacho, through the loom, to the ECU, needs to be connected to ground. A path through moisture may be enough to make the LED come on.

Richard,

The light is the one in the top centre above the needle axis.

Although he car is registered 2002 I know it was a transition year. I have seen other 2002 academy cars with a central hand brake.

Considering the very wet weather up here, the worst the locals have seen in over 30 years and the fact the car was stored with a cover and under a car port, damp could be another cause.

I will check the electrical connections and warm them up with a hair dryer or something to see if it helps.

Thanks

Phil

• Area Representative

I had the same problem with my 2004 R300 after the car was soaked in a downpour on the way back from Brands Hatch. It was damp that caused the issue and it just needed to dry out and it took some time to clear.

Piers

Well, went to start the 7 and with the ignition on there was no orange light, great news.

So, started it up, and still the light is off :) moved the car into the sunshine (I know, in Scotland!, in March!).

Then noticed the light was dimly glowing and over a couple of minutes brightened up a bit more.

Taken the decision to warm the car up completely.  Fan kicked in when warmed up and the light is dimmer but not out yet.

I have left the bonnet and engine off now and see if it dries out.  I will check and give and update in an hour or so.

Looking good so far.

Phil

• Area Representative

Phil - when this happened to my car, it took quite a few outings before the orange light went out. I don't think you will clear it just by running the car in the drive for 10 minutes or so. You need to go for some good blats and get the engine hot. Mine also glowed dimly for some time and like you, I was concerned. However, it did sort itself out in the end.

I really should add that the rain I drove through was of biblical proportions after I left Brands Hatch, which was 3 years ago. I was down to 30/40 MPH in the slow lane on the M26/M20, being overtaken by lorries - very very scary. The only time I have had the roof up in my car.  The electrics got absolutely soaked.

Piers

• 4 weeks later...

Phil lives close to the Dukes Pass, so he has the ideal road to drive and a great excuse to ride up and down the route until the light issue is sorted *biggrin*  I guess it is tough to find time between deluges of rain and grass cutting duties *biglaugh*