Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HANS questions

mcerbm

I'm looking to update to a HANS / head restraint device this season. I know most racers go to Arch to get it done, I'm up in aberdeen and its a big round trip for me. Is there a design available that I could use a local fabricator to get it done too? or even pictures and details of someone who has had it done by Arch.

Also is the standard tillet seat suitable for Hans and the standard caterham harnesses?

Last question, which angle of HANS do people go for?

Hi - I'm not sure who you race with, but in both the Caterham series and Caterham Graduates, chassis modifications have to be carried out by Arch or Caterham Westbury so bear that in mind.

On the Schroth (HANS) website, they have a document that allows you to work out the spacing of the harness mounts which are specific to your position. Arch just drill and braze in threaded inserts to the chassis rail in the same way as the existing ones.

The standard Tillet is OK, but you may find that it pushes your head forwards as the HANS sits behind the helmet. The Caterham Tillet was designed for non-helmet road use so is already a bit tight with a helmet on.

The standard 20 deg (IIRC) is OK.

An alternative is the Simpson Hybrid which avoids most of the questions and doesn't need chassis mods, but it more expensive.

I have a tillet and simpson hybrid pro and depending on your position in the car this may well require no mods. I'm a smidge under 5ft 10 and the belts sit at 0 degrees (i.e. level with shoulders and original mounting holes) and I'm running caterham 3 inch belts. The tillet holes in the seat are a bit tight with the 3 inch belts so 2 inch would provide greater clearance if you are taller or you might have to enlarge the holes to get the belts through so that they fit flat on the top of the FHR (if you are over say 6ft at a guess?)

I am a racer newbie so will post back in a few weeks what its like in terms of comfort etc during a 20 min stint but sitting in my garage making brum brum noises it seems pretty good.

I made an adapter plate to move the shoulder strap mounts to the correct spacing and location.  I've been using it hillclimbing in France with no adverse comments from scrutineers for five years, but I haven't competed with it in the UK, so can't vouch for its acceptability here.

Have a look here for details but no liability offered or inferred for acceptability or safety.  I can vouch that it works as I had a wizard prang first time out, broke three ribs (harness pressure) but no neck problems.

If you decide to use the idea you should check that the dimensions match your requirements, seat position etc.  The 20 deg version is usual in a 7.

Paul