Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cycle speedos

Gloucestershire AR

What's the current thinking on the best cycle speedo to fit? My old Sigma BC1200 seems reluctant to work these days (not sure if it's the wiring and/or possibly at the wheel/magnet end - any experience of that?).

The model looks to have been replaced and I'm not sure what's recommended now.

Or is a smartphone a better idea?

Andy

I have a holux GPS Sport 245 which has an accurate speedometer, backlight and ability to download your traveled route onto your PC. Also use it on the push bike.

Don't think they're available anymore but sure other devices are.

Smartphone apps can do this and more - I spotted an arkan mount in a seven nicely suckered to a carbon dashboard.

Ian

Andy... you do mean for a 7, not a human powered vehicle?

What's the current distance between the magnet and the sensor?

Yes, there are lots of apps that display speed measured by GPS, many of them free. Definitely worth playing with. The position and mount are probably more important than the app. (I'm still looking for a good solution for fitting an iPhone just below the bottom rail of the dash, but that's probably a bit low for the main speed indicator.)

(On most of our bikes I use the cheapest wireless Cateye that's available, but the last one wasn't quite the cheapest as we wanted bigger numerals on the display.)

Jonathan

I had a BC1200 on one of my Sevens and found it the most useful addition for a single glance speed reference.

Looking around the Lezyne Mini gps looks the kind of thing I'd want but I can't see if it can be configured to show just speed on the screen (looks like it's Speed and Time as a minimum). Looks easy enough to fettle a mount for to accommodate a position atop the scuttle near the steering wheel in direct line of sight.

Do gps gadgets operate accurately directly behind a glass screen with heater elements in, don't want to blow 75 large and then find it doesn't.

edit: Another suitable and even more compact device is the Garmin Edge 25 but as with the Lezyne the screen can not be configured to display just speed in large figures, also both devices feature backlights but these are not configurable for permanently on presumably to extend runtime.

edit 2: Looking at this from another angle there's always this https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/221587766584 personally I like the dual use of the cycle speedo as I could use it on the bike as well.

Do gps gadgets operate ok directly behind a glass screen with heater elements in, don't want to blow 75 large and then find it doesn't.

What are you considering?

Are you concerned about them getting a strong enough signal?

The other worry is about devices such as ordinary tablets and smart 'phones and devices designed for use inside cars not being waterproof without additional cases. (That's why I want to mount* my iPhone below the dash.)

Jonathan

* I know, I know. ;-)

Also although my iPhone would kind of be ideal in landscape (it's backlit, has gps built in and I always have it with me) I wouldn't want to nail it to the back of the screen as you'd have to take it off even to fill up with petrol, secondly unless in a bigger case it's not waterproof and thirdly I like to keep it tucked away or listen to music/internet radio on longer trips so there would be cables all over the place and we don't like cable clutter.

The under dash tunnel mount could be easily achieved with Velcro on the tunnel top on the far side of the gear stick, a phone sized triangular cushion also with Velcro on and a phone back case which has Velcro on the rear face.

For a speed reference though it's too far from the line of sight for me.

Yes, for the 7. The current BC1200 has been on there for probably a  decade and until last year worked well. I have a second unit too and neither now works, having been through a period when they only worked sometimes. Standard wired connection, using a magnet araldited to one of the front disc mounting bolts.

I did read somewhere that magnets can become demagnetised and wonder if just changing the magnet would be a sensible first move. The other option would be replacing all the wired bit - which is a bit of a pain as I don't have a spare!

The BC1200 is cheap enough to leave permanently attached but has no night light. Once calibrated, it was very accurate (when cross referenced against the Tom Tom) and especially useful if the Tom Tom lost its signal for any reason.

Using my Android phone would work but water is an issue and so a simple lightweight and accurate cycle speedo has always seemed like a good option.

Andy

The sensor is just a small piece of metal attracted by the magnet and making a contact. This is robust but it is designed for a push bike, not for contnuous "high speed". Maybe your sensor is down. It's available as a spare part. 

You can hear a small click if you play with a magnet near this sensor.