Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a fatter exhaust - sideskin hole enlargement

AntonyH

If I were to be contemplating swapping my standard single-tube-primary K-series exhaust for a 4-2-1 system, and therefore would need a bigger hole in the side skin, how difficult is it to enlarge that hole neatly, and without trashing the shiny paint work?

Is it the sort of thing that a ham-fisted cludger can do with a suitable tool, or something you'd only entrust to a seasoned professional?

Hi Anthony.

When Powerspeed fitted mine, they carefully offered each primary up in turn making the hole bigger as he went. He did give me the option to look away.The guy used a nibbler that was air driven. I can send you some photos of the job being done if you give me an E-Mail address.

Stuart

I've had to cut a small hole (10p size) in one of my rear damper turrets. I have a rotary burr bit for my Dremel and its devoured the Ali material. Something like that could be a way to open up the hole. 

This is something I've had to do on occasions and it's always something I put off out of sheer terror.  However, it's not so bad - mask with a few layers of masking tape or cardboard for acres around for the almost inevitable (in my case) slip and then a Dremel with a burr tool as suggested followed by a flapper wheel.  

• Area Representative

Hi Anthony

I fitted a 4-2-1 to my car about 18 months ago - I can send you a template to use if that helps?

It's quite straight-forward if you take your time and work methodically - also treble tape the paint work around where you are cutting to avoid any damage to the side-skin. I used a Dremel type tool plus a number of small files & emery paper to achieve a lovely smooth finish. The metal skin is very thin & soft, so easily workable.

Back-breaking work though - I had to work in a tiny garage and was in quite a bit of pain the next day!

PM me with your mobile number if you want to have a chat!

Cheers

Nick

Newexhaust.JPG.8795bbc25babf35d77748a544018d6f4.JPG

Thanks all.

The pictures Stuart sent were enough to pretty much put me off the idea as a DIY job (he did a great job on his, I should say!); Nick's mention of "back breaking work" in a "tiny garage" has definitely sealed the decision that I'd pay someone else to do it - my garage also isn't huge and my back is dodgy enough at the best of times.

*smile*

• Area Representative

Sorry I didn't mean to put you off! It is hugely rewarding to do yourself and isn't too difficult either! I wouldn't rule out doing it yourself and if you spread the work out over a few days your back wouldn't suffer as much. If you were closer I'd offer to help you out!