Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New member - some questions

harrisgti

Hi,

I am new to the club and i have some questions. that i haven't been able to find on the forum. (probably down to me not looking in the right places!) i hope some members can help. it was great to meet everyone at the caterham meet in West Sussex the other week and i am keen to get involved.

I have a caterham 7 1.6 Vauxhall vx classic. The first question was is there a how to service thread? I have seen a lot on the k series engine but not a lot on the older engines. I was trying to find out what type of coolant the car needed and also what type of oil and spark plugs? i have seen the guide section and read through that.

the next question i have is, I am looking to do the track day in may at Brands Hatch, is it worth getting separate track day cover? And also do you need a certain typ of helmet to go?

I am also new to forums, so this is probably posted in the wrong section i just picked it from the drop down.

Regards,

Brad Harris

Hi Brad

Congratulations on your purchase .

I cannot help on the servicing query but re the Brands track day i think you will find it is fully booked .

Why not come to the Cadwell day ? I think there are still places and its a great track for the Caterham .

Hi Brad,

Congratulations and welcome to the Club.

You could try entering a few specific terms in the search box, such as: vx AND service, or vx AND oil, for example, which should return threads and guides that contain both those terms.

Regarding Helmets, the Club don't insist on a particular standard. Some people buy car race helmets and some use bike helmets (i may be wrong but I think bike helmets sometimes have a wider field of view?). The only thing the Club insist on is a "trackday" rollbar, rather than the standard road rollbar.
it's only this Club that insist on that, so if you have the road rollbar and wanted to try out a trackday then you could use another trackday operator such as MSV or bookatrack.

Welcome. Where are you?

Lots of Guides here.http://www.lotus7.club/guides

I don't have an emailable Assembly Guide for the Vauxhall engined models but if you send me a Private Mail with your email address I'll send you the closest I can find.

Here's a suggested service schedule.

Would you be interested in a "Get to Know Your 7" session?

Jonathan

from Haynes manual VX Astra 91-96

Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze coolant ( to VX spec GME L 6, if you're picky)

Oil -  I'd use a quality semi-synthetic - Haynes specifies10W/40 to 20W/50, probably 3.5-4 litres

Oil Filter -(same as for the caterham 2.0 xe) ie WIX7064 or equiv.

Plugs Champion WR7DC or equiv - this is the spec . for injection, I don't know whether carbs would be different, but have a look what's in there at the moment.