Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 5-40 = Comma SynerG 5-40?

stevefoster

VX 5-40 synth VS Comma SynerG 5-40 synth?

Are they the same oil?

I can get a 25l of above VX oil for a lot less than Comma equivalent. Both of which are cheaper than the equivalent 5l X 5. Having two cars one of which is dry sumped, 25l is looking sensible.

Any help much appreciated.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Steve,

even if they are not the same formulation that originates from the same oil company, they will meet the same specifications.

I do not know of any fully synthetic 5W-40 oils that do not meet the ACEA A3 specification. You will be fine with the GM oil.

Regards

Carl (the bloke responsible for engine oil for a major OEM that may or may not be related to my username!)

Steve,

Check the archives. ISTR that the GM stuff is supposed to be a lower quality than the comma. How much is it anyway?

P.s My local vauxhall dealer uses shell helix for all service items. If the GM stuff is as good, why do they not use that?

because the dealer gets a higher mark up from the Shell Helix.

How can it be lower quality if it meets the same specification?

All fully synthetic oils meet at least ACEA A3 (www.acea.be)

a few meet ACEA A5 which is better still.

OEMs like VW, Ford, GM and others often have their own in-house specs that use the ACEA spec as a baseline but add additional requirements - so you might find that the GM oil is better than the Comma oil, maybe not.

In anycase I believe Syner G is the same as Halfords 5W-40 fully synthetic, just a common or garden ACEA A3 oil.

small oil marketing and blending companies like Millers just buy the recipes from oil or additive companies - The qualification work to pass the specs will have probably been originally done by one of the major additive suppliers, they then sell the additives for mixing up to a specific recipe............

Oil Sermon No. 3. follows.............................

Sermon on/

Oil is generally developed in 2 forms

above scenario where formulation is generic and the additive package and recipe is sold by additive companies to satisfy mostly smaller oil companies looking after the workshop market.

second scenario where (in general) major oil company works closely with additive supplier (who do most of the work) to come up with the big brand stuff. Once a formulation is qualified, it is often rebranded into many, many different big names.

Major oil companies work hard on building their brands..............but at the end of the day, its the specification that matters to you. If it passes a good spec., its as good as any other (overpriced or branded!) oil.

With fully synthetic oils in particular you are more often than not buying oil performance you do not need, especially people who have standard engines and who do not track their cars.....

By the way, there are only 3 major additive companies now at the root of most of the oil formulations on the market today - how different can their technologies be? Subtle.....

Look for the spec.......

I just spoke to the man responsible for signing off the K series oil requirements at Rover....depending on engine/power/VVC etc.. they potentially all take different spec oils.... to keep things simple for Caterhams, VVC or not we settled on a 10W-40 or 5W-40 ACEA A3 oil, 10W-40 for most owners, 5W-40 fully synthetic for highly modified or tracked K series.

For X-flows, then again nearest recent quality spec. equivalent would sensibly by an ACEA A3 oil. 10W or 5W-40 would be fine.

Stock Duratecs and Zetecs are signed off on a Ford specific specification, 5W-30 oils meeting WSS-M2C913-A (or B) available from your Ford dealer, or somewhere like Halfords (actually based on ACEA A1 and are fuel economy oils). Highly modded or tracked duratecs and zetecs should again look for an ACEA A3 5W-40 fully synthetic.

For your tin tops - Read what it recommends in the manual and insist on that spec at your dealer (you'd be shocked at how many dealers service an whatever they get a good deal on)..

Sermon off/

If anyone would like to discuss - mail me offline

Not sure, but I've been told by someone who knows that Halfords "own brand" 5W 40 synthetic oil is Comma Syner G - and it is often really well priced on special offers in Halfords (picked some up at the weekend £17 for 5 litres)...

Funny that James . . . so did I

then I drained all the old oil from the Caterham, and poured it into an old Carlton. ALL OF IT. *confused* *eek*

I knew the level was low in the old girl - but not that low. Still, not to worry. It's a Vauxhall engine. You can't ruin them. That was done WAY before I got it.

. . . . . by the manufacturer I think 😬

(and possibly ~ 100k miles of hard driving by me )

Dave

Dave,

It would seem that way. Surrey eh?!

That is the price of the 10-40 semi synth here.

They are having a laugh on the 25L then as well.

I will do some shopping around.

Still not convinced I want to stick VX branded stuff in after having used Comma successfully last season.. I am dry sumped so the tappet aeration issue with VX's is not a problem anymore.

Edited by - stevefoster on 6 Feb 2003 21:37:15

A recent bulk buy orgainsed by me in here for Comma Syner G saw the 5l pirce at £18 for 5 lt or £65 for 20 lt.

I agree if it meets the specs then it should be the same. I was merely referencing an atricle that could be located in the archives that may be useful. Next time i'll not bother. *mad*

Halfords is Comma and the regular price for 5 lt is £23 or more. *eek*

Shell oil for the service on my car was £9 inc for about 4 - 4.5 litres - not much mark up there then

Roy,

It hasn't been through your woofy dog has it? *smile*

Mav,

I saw the bulk buy and had so much else on I didn't get involved. I regret that now...

As for which oil os best...

I just know my VX engine likes Comma SynerG. It would probably like VX or Halfords oil just as much though...

I need someone to come along and say yep, I have raced, track day'd etc with the VX oil and it is fine and then to find out where Oily gets it and buy 25l!

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here