Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tips for a good earth (cycle wing stay)

andysteele

my indicator repeater on the cycle wing has been playing up. it stopped working a few weeks ago, i took it all apart cleaned up and it worked. I`ve had issues with the earth for this on a previous car ... and now not its stopped working again.

any top tips on getting a consistent earth?

I found the contacts in the repeater base were very questionable. When I replaced the wings, I fitted new smoked grey lens repeaters into the outer faces of the headlamp bowls. No more problems with cabling and earths on the wing stay.

i was hoping to keep the cycle wing repeaters. in my old car my helpful MOT tester (as failed on this) put a earth wire direct to battery, which got it thought MOT and i left on. ideally dont want to do this again... was hoping to clean up the contact of earth wire to wing stay, but dont want do have to do this monthly!

• Area Representative

When you get it working, I'd recommend use of Contralube 770. It helps keep all contact clean and corrosion free. Use it on the multi pin plugs and any electrical contacts. Available from Maplins in either a small sachet or a larger plastic bottle.

take a wire to the inside of the light and connect it there, run the other end back into the engine compartment and find a nice clean spot to tie it down, if i remember right black is earth so you could tie it onto an existing black wire. check the wiring diag'.

personally i've got rid of the side repeaters when i replaced the wings on both of my 7s, one with clams and one with cycles....a much more elegant solution, but if you really want a side repeater get a pair of the little fiat (500 or uno i think) and install them into the headlamp shell....no prob' with earth connection then and it looks ok.

Either run the earth back into the headlamp bowl and join to the headlamp earth wire or take separately through the wing stay all the way back to the chassis earth point.

Trying to rely on an earth link from the brake line is questionable and bad earths cause all sorts of issues - ever seen trailer lights where the indicators come on when the brake are applied? Always down to poor earthing.

Cheers

Andrew