Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternative to Poppers

AdamQ

I suspect it's been done before (though I've never seen mention of it), but today I reached the point of a rebuild where it was time to sort out the poppers for the boot.  Partly because I shrank from the task of drilling holes in the nice new paintwork and partly because I've never particularly liked the boot poppers (too many of those uneasy moments where you're sure the female bit is going to pull off and stay on the male bit on the bodywork) I started thinking about alternatives ...

Well, 10 × 5 mm round neodymium magnets slot into the female popper bits nicely.  A dab of super glue on a corresponding magnet inside the boot and I seem to have a reasonably securely fastened boot cover ...  Needs to be tested at speed of course, but ...

I did add a circle of duct tape to the outer magnets to minimise the risk of scratching ...

And there is the weight penalty of course - awfully dense stuff that nedymiumiumium ...!

FWIW ...

Adam

Good experiment. Hope it works, but I'm sceptical so far... Ditto Velcro.

I'm also surprised that 7s don't generally need something stronger, particularly on the end ones, eg:

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/content/images/thumbs/0021602_long-black-turnbuckle-fasteners_150.jpeg

SFBS use directional poppers for extra strength on the half-hood straps just behind the door.

Jonathan

I like you idea of magnets, but the press studs work, because the forces applied to them are usually at 90 degrees to the path of removal.

I think the magnet idea could work if the magnet sat in cups fixed to the car, so the magnet held the material in place, but the cup stopped the magnet being dragged across the side skin.

Duncan

*rofl* I love that you worry about scratching by poppers when the amount of gravel that gets thrown up by fellow road users can be a lot worse.  I too hate drilling but only because I cant measure properly and invariable end up with a popper in the wrong place *wobble*

Poppers , its one of those it ain't broke so don't fix it things on a 7

Poppers shouldn't be a problem. Rivet them to the skin with countersunk pop rivets, washers on the inside and use a narrow headed rivet gun that can get to the head of the rivet - and they will be fine. Use the proper tool to fit the other bits to the boot (it looks like a G clamp, expensive to buy but marine or car trimming places will have one) and they won't come off again.

I'm with nickh7, it's not a problem that needs fixing.