Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slicks

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Thinking about class 7 this year but have lots of questions about slicks and car set up.

1. Radial vs Crossply - which is best for a 7 and first time on slicks?
  2. What sizes?
  3. What compound? A91?
  4. What suspension settings to use? Of course this will depend on the answer to 1. Currently our car is set-up for radial road tyres with significant front camber (-2.75) and the rear was measured at -1.75. I would prefer to keep close to the radial settings as I may be doing some other competition on Kumhos.
  5. What if it rains? Swap back to Kumhos or is everyone going to splash out on wets?

Simon probably has more info but from my perspective

1. crossply -cheaper/lighter, unsure on "first time slicks" not even sure it would matter.  The decision maybe defined by response to #4 and #5

2. Simon suggested to me 7x21 front 9.22 rear

3. Compound, there are 2 A92 the softest and also A15 that aren't quite as soft but probably require a lot less looking after.  I am planning on the softest I can get.  If you are double driving I do not know how well the A92's would last...

4. I have switched to my old ACB10 setup, which ISTR was pretty much no camber at front and the 0.25? rear ears. Once I get slicks on need to tweek rake and shoud probably do a flat floor if I have time...

5. I am yet to decided if I want to go for a set of full wets, or run my old ZZR for a year (but then we are garunteed to have a very wet year if I don't go ful wets).  If you do go kumho and to lesser degree on ZZR setup you will need to change rake by some at least.

Are you planing on making the car track only?

Would be great if we had more in Class 7...

Rob has detailed my tyre sizes.

Until last Friday I ran the radial ears. I have always run the wide Kumho's at 0.5 neg camber so I did not need to change that.

Ride height changes between tyres.  I flat floor the car with both types and have a short steel rule I use with pre set marks on it which show the difference and it means a quick change.

A92 compound = softest you can get!

I intended to keep the Kumho's for full wets but I may revert back to the old slicks cleaned and cut instead as there is less ride height change.

Cross Ply is more than a couple of hundred quid less than radial and well they seem to work *driving*

Looking forwards to having people in the same class to compare to.