Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New front Brakes

Graham Perry

Geoff & Pierre

Yes bought calipers from rally design. Making my own brackets so dont know what they would supply. Their kit uses larger ventilated discs and I did not need the additional stopping power or weight for a Blackbird car.

To use use Willwood Dynalite II calipers with caterham discs requires a 1/4 inch thick spacer with 4 holes two of which are tapped 7/16 inch UNF and reinforced with a nut welded behind, or however you prefer to fit them.

I do all my own construction & fabrication where possible so cannot recommend where to buy except suggest buy the complete kit. Not such a weight or money saving though

Graham - DOT 5 is silicone based fluid. Generally not recommended for track or competition use (although I used it for 2 years with no probs). DOT 5.1 is the stuff to get, unless you want to spend a heap more money on AP600 and change it twice a year. Oddly I've had nothing but trouble with AP600, the rears keep boiling and I keep having to rebleed and add more fluid. It's been an expensive year for brake fluid. Other people (Peter for example) have had only joy with it, so I'm wondering if my problems are caused by remnants of the old DOT 5 stuff in the system. Sadly they don't mix, in fact AP600 doesn't mix with anything AFAIK so it's impossible to completely purge your system of whatever was in there before without dismantling everything.

Mike

Mike/Peter, Yes, I meant to say Dot 5.1 coz I knew that Dot 5 was silicone only. I was told 2 years ago that a 'new' 600 F Silicon ester fluid that was compatable with all current Glycol based fluids would be available 'very shortly' by someone at Castrol tech. division. However, now I have started looking I find that it isn't as yet on the market unless anyone knows otherwise. I guess as super Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 is the best available currently then it will have to do.