Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Indicator Woes - New LEDs do they need resistance ? LED Flasher Relay Fitted and resistance tried still no joy

nickh7

The old indicator units in the headlamps needed replacing so I fitted some new LED units and then the trouble started.

They will only work if I connect another another conventional  bulb holder in with them .  Do I need to add more resistance ? If Yes how do I do it ?

These are LED flashers

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/micro-28mm-led-side-repeaters-clear-lens-amber-light-pair

Adding a resistor is the wrong solution (it'll work, but why waste the energy heating up a resistor?) Using a flasher relay specifically designed for LEDs is the right solution.  You need one with the correct pinout - take your existing one out and check the numbers on the back, then compare against various options on ebay.  If you get the wrong one, you can swap the leads around as SM25T did, but better to get the right one in the first place.

To answer the question, I'm no expert but I'm sure they do need a series resistor.

No they don't. If you're going to use a resistor, it needs to be in parallel with the indicators, not in series. The old-fashioned flasher relays need to see a certain current flowing before they'll work properly. A resistor in series will reduce the current flowing. Putting one in parallel allows a larger current to flow through the resistor as well as the low current flowing through the LEDs.  You could also just wire up an extra bulb hidden under the dash somewhere.  Bit of a kludge? So is the resistor.

LED charge lights are totally different, but they probably need to have the resistor in parallel as well.

I spoke with Car Building Solutions and got the correct one , so I've now spent a bl *censored* dy fortune just to change the headlamp glass . 

They do look a whole lot brighter and as the old ones were starting to get dull spots on the reflectors I am sure it will now pass its MOT

yep fitted an LED flasher , at least they flashed at a steady rate but still wouldn't work on the indictor unless the old holder was in line. When to Maplin took their advice and tried various resistor combinations still to no avail !   Car builder solutions are baffled as to why this might be the case as the flasher should have sorted it.

at least the headlights are bright *rotate*

The WIPAC relay I quoted has been fitted to 4 different Sevens, two of which have a mixture of LED and filament lamps, all of which work perfectly. My guess is that not all relays are as competent or there is another issue on the car somewhere else.

Just a thought, the warning light on the dashboard - is it LED or filament type?