Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

vvc clutch problems

Keith Brown

I have a 1998 VVC {rhd} . To date i have replaced the clutch cable 3 or 4 times and at the end of last season the inner works {you may detect that i am not a technical person} broke. The cable always breaks at the clutch end .The cable is free from any restrictions in its curve so no undue strain is put on the cable. The cables have lasted a minimum of 1750 miles and a maximum of 17500 miles. Total mileage is just over 30000. I am told that the VVC cable is not the same as the ´normal` K series 1800. Why? I am a new subscriber to Blatchat so i do not know whether this subject has been raised earlier. I would welcome informed comment. Thanks in anticipation.

It seems that there is a problem with the cable routing where it connects with the lever at the bellhousing end. Clutch cables should last for years and years. Usually they have some sort of plastic insert to ensure that the cable is straight where it comes out of the outer - if this is not the case it will wear out. In years of messing with old cars I have only had 1 cable break - it wore through just where it comes out of the outer after about 130,000 miles. After 130k they are entitled to wear out, even I don't mind.

Keith

they are renowned for breaking, not sure what can be done about it, the last two I have had the cable pulled out of the nipple at the pedal end

however I fail to see why a VVC would be any different to any other 7 with the same chassis of the same period with the same gearbox. Only difference may between 5 or 6 speed box?

Mark

The cable will last much longer if 30mm is cut off the threaded boss that enters the peddlebox. If too much of this boss protudes into the peddlebox the cable inner is pulled over the edge of the boss as the peddle is depressed. Be carefull if attempting to cut the boss its easy to damage the inner cable. And before someone points out that you can allow more of the threaded end at the bellhousing to enter the bellhousing and thus shortening the cable, its not possible to get it short enough, what you are aiming for is for your peddle to be where you want it and have the minamum of threaded boss entering the peddle box and of course not fouling the release arm at the other end.