Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Sump Removal

John Downard

I didn't know adjustable spring seats could be retrofitted, I assume you mean these (or equivalent)...

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=285

I wasn't expecting 300lb springs (accepting that the C20XE cast iron lump makes the car heavy up front).

I'm not looking forward to getting the current units off as from my last tentative go it felt like the bush sleeves were rusted onto the bolts (a common issue I understand), any tips on this aspect?

Sounds like everything will need a good soaking with Plus-Gas, to get the bolts out.  Then your next job will be to remove the springs from the dampers (spring compressor of some sort required) and then the top bush from the dampers.  That will allow you to remove the bottom spring seat and then fit the new adjuster sleeve.

All pretty straightforward with a decent vice to clamp the piston rod (rubber jaws required) and with items that were copper-slipped on assembly............but in your case, probably not so easy *grumpy*

Remember also you're going to need adjustable spring seats on the rears as well or you'll never get the ride heights correct and the height differential front to rear.

Alan,

Re the QED baffle - does this fit the Caterham wet sump?

Looking at the QED website, they also do their own shallow cast wet sump but I don't think it is the same as Caterham's own one i.e. not as shallow, judging by comments on another sevenesque forum.

People have also questioned how safe the metal baffle only approach would be because the sump is so shallow. I.e. oil starvation in hard corning.

Having had a lucky escape with my HPC when I bought it - first thing I did was service and replace the baffle (previous owner didn't realise it was there!) and it had turned to crispy disintegrated seaweed - I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers

David