Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Odyssey Batteries

R2D2

This new style of battery has been developed and produced by Hawker Industries.

Is anyone interested in one of these new drycell batteries.

I plan to buy a couple of PC680s which are 18Ahr and produce 680 Amps cranking power.

size is 185mm long x 680mm high and 79mm deep. Weight is 6.5kg

They are an aircraft style dry cell that have excellent vibration resistance.

They are not a gel battery but use an impregnated tissue so they can be used in any orientation.

I plan to buy two but have been offered a good price break for 4 off.

Cost would be £54.75 + VAT + shipping at around a tenner.

I would pay up front for 4 and get them despatched directly.

Let me know if there is any interest.

Web site is: www.odysseybatteries.co.uk

Cheers

Chris

Edited by - chris flavell on 5 Feb 2003 10:16:49

I chose it to fit a specific space and because of its cranking amps, which I believe are higher than the Banner. If the Banner will crank at the same output it may be a better choice but I have a maximum width of 125mm to fit into.

I am not using the battery in a Caterham but in a single seater.

Ahem.....Forever in the search of lightness I use an Odyssey 545 battery. Half the size of a stock one, five kilos in weight, 13 Ah, 300 amps cranking power. Spins the starter motor much faster than the original battery which was in good nick when I removed it. Probably no good for people who run alarms and stuff that are powered up when the car is parked but OK for my older car.

AMMO

Sounds great, but I think I need a PC 680 as I don't have any charging circuit and am worried about not having enough capacity.

I have fitted a geared Hi-torque starter I bought from Australia, which looks very similar to the ones supplied by Edge and Cambs Motorsport so it does pull quite a few amps.

I bought a 545 for a customers bike. I stuck it in the Caterham and ran it for a week before I decided to buy one for myself. I also got one for Luke Beaumont's VVC. He found the immobiliser /alarm would drain it if left for too long. The PC 680 is a better choice for the newer cars. I can't recommend these batteries enough. The price thay are being offered at is really cheap. You also get to save a kilo over the stock battery.

Chris, I used to run my race bikes with no alternator before I went fuel injected. A bit extra capacity is always safer. Silly to conk out with the finish line in sight. What car is it? I'm curious.

AMMO

• 2 weeks later...

Odyssey batteries are made by the same people as Varleys (Hawker Energy Products of the US) and use similar technology but are slightly heavier and a lot cheaper. They use an impregnated glass mat rather than gel or 'watery' acid so will work quite happily at almost any angle and even with a big hole punched in the side (good safety point if the battery is sitting above your passenger's lap). That means they can be mailed or air freighted fully charged too! They also apparently last longer than a standard battery.

Hawker claims that the cranking power is double to triple that of an equal size conventional car battery. You can also run them down to -40C (not tried that yet).

My crossflow car has one and I'm very pleased with it. They also look pretty cool (bright red)! Think they were originally designed for aircraft applications.

You do have to watch them though as they do NOT like continual current drain so may not be suitable for cars with immobilisers/alarms. Continual drain kills them. They also don't like being short circuited.

Groves Batteries in Cheltenham (01242 514 940) stock them at good prices and know more about batteries than you can shake a stick at. A lot of guys in our area use them (not just for Odysseys). Recommended.

Andy Couchman

Q831FDD - currently being rebuilt