Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aces change up light wiring

mcerbm

I have been a bit of tidying up under the dash with the loom, I chopped the input for the Aces control unit to remove excess wiring and integrate it better under the dash. The connector the input goes into has the power, earth and the input as the 3 pins. When I cut the input wire it had silver wire sheath then a plastic layer then a copper wire.

I take it the copper central wire is the carrier wire for the input and the silver wiring is just some form of shieding? If I solder or use a butt connector I would get the central copper wire connected, is there any issues if there isn't continuity in the silver sheath wire?

As Charles says - the shielded wire feeds off the tacho input wire. You'll need to connect the live and ground as well, obviously. 

When I did mine on my old K-Series I also fitted the Caterham supplied resistor loom, as I understand it this allows for constant voltage to the tacho despite the extra feed take off (happy to be corrected though).

its an EU2 caterham and as far as I can tell the input wire connects onto the crank sensor but its tricky to see. its certainly not from the tacho or ECU. It has worked fine for 2 years it wasn't until I cut the cable i thought I may have made a mistake. I'll connect the inner most copper cable and see how it goes.

Slight change of topic, but related. I have a DL1 which I was wanting to get a rpm input to. I believe I cant tap into the ACES unit feed because the DL1 doesn't take an inductive pickup (I think this is what is fitted to my EU2 k-series VHPD?) So I guess a feed from the tacho input would be the best idea. The tacho pins are on the wiring diagram with their colours but it doesn't tell you their functions, which wire should I pick up on for the reb in put to the DL1?