Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Competition Tyres - MSA List 1b/c - options

Paul Deslandes

Now that the List 1b issue has been clarified for 2016, those of us stuck with what are now List 1c tyres, have to choose either to run in a different, non-road-going class or junk perfectly good tyres (wide V70 Kumhos in my case) and find something safe to drive on.  I'm not sure I fancy driving a 250bhp lightweight 7 with anything much less grippy than what I've got used to.

What are others doing?

Paul

ps if we leave the EU, will we be able to ignore the regulations that brought this change about? *boxedin*

• Support Team

I don't think the 1b/1c thing is done and dusted - there may be a last minute reprieve although don't hold your breath.

If the rules remain as currently published then either buy some 1b tyres or some clubs, including L7C, are running a "mod prod lite" class specifiying tyres from 1a/1b/1c - i.e. no slicks. But you will need a compliant rollover protection system and an FHR device.

It looks like the best list 1b choices are either ZZR OE fitment or ZZS - both in a medium compound (A64) - or Toyo R888 which can be had in a soft (SG) compound but only in 205 width.

There will likely be a good market for your Kumhos if they are soft or supersoft as there aren't any available new at the moment.

Thanks Sean, I'll contact Avon and see what sizes and compounds are available for the ZZS.  This is reminiscent of the 1A and 1B issue some years ago when all road going classes were going to be restricted to List 1A.  Common sense prevailed at the time, but now EU regs are involved.

The Kumhos are ok for a few more miles but not good enough to offer for sale.  I ran 888 supersoft for a couple of seasons, followed by 048Rs, then Kumhos which were far and away the best.

I should add that I'm talking hillclimbs, where the tyre has to be grippy from the get-go, rather than trackdays or circuit racing

Already have roll cage and HANS as the latter was required in France 5 years ago.

Paul