Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightweight wheel nuts

Gloucestershire AR

Can't find anything previous on this using search but what's the current thinking about lightweight wheel nuts?

I run Caterham 8 spoke anthracites (Ford fitting but live axled car) and fancy some nice aluminium ones. Is that a good idea? Currently have big heavy closed top chrome thingies.

The locking wheel nuts are already open top and non-chrome.

Thanks all.

Andy

That makes sense, thanks Jonathan. Using ali nuts on steel bolts I guess could give rise to different expansion rates? As a long time Le Mans attendee, I'm reminded of all the three wheeled cars I've seen over the years after the (ali) nut had departed from the (steel) hub. Most of the ali nuts on ebay seem to come from China and certainly look smart but not sure that's what should drive my decision here...

Andy

I think your money would be better spent elsewhere, with more reliability and safety. I use standard Ford open end nuts with connected rotating washers, cheap as chips from any dealership (ask and they may give you some for free as they replace plenty with locking versions), they can't be that heavy, and it's easy for a scrutineer to see how many threads are engaged.

• 1 year later...

Picked this thread to resurrect as its fairly recent.

I need some shallower wheel nuts for my 1996 dedion car so I can fit the wheel nut covers on my SLR wheels. Do these look like they will be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-x-Ford-Fiesta-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-Open-Alloy-Wheel-Nuts-Silver-/182107290640?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ASierra&hash=item2a6670bc10:g:FFEAAOSwUKxYfiYM

My set of closed wheel nuts do not have washers. Should they? 

The MSA don't allow the use of aluminum wheel nuts on race cars which should tell you all you need to know. My old 968 CS had ali wheel nuts as standard and I never felt comfortable nipping them up if I'm honest.  I use std ford open nuts on the seven and i doubt you'll notice any weight benefit, you'd probably be better spending the cash on a half hour tuition session with an instructor.