Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T - manually adjusting electric seats off car...

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

Hi all,

Unusual one this... I have bought a couple of very nice Rover 75 leather front seats to use as comfy chairs whilst resting from tinkering in the garage - you know the scene - cuppa, cool tunes on in the background etc...

Anyway, one of the seat backs needs to be reclined a little to make it comfortable to sit in, but... its an electric seat and the car has long since gone (the seats had already been removed when I bought them). There must be a way of manually reclining the seat, but I'm b*ggered if I can find a way!

All sensible suggestions gratefully received! 

Many thanks

Nick

• Area Representative

Yes I think everything is intact so in theory they could be fitted to another Rover 75... No pics at present.

I though the TG seats were out of a Bentley/Rolls etc...

I always liked the Rover seats - even as a kid I was going to buy some P6 seats that were very similar to the more more 75 seats, but couldn't afford the £15 the car breakers want at that time (very early 80s)! How times have changed!

Suspect to do it manually you would need to remove the upholstery, If there is a socket with 3 pins on seat would have thought it would be a simple + or - 12v depending on direction, should be a simple check with DVM and wire colour to work out which pin is which , battery and a couple of bits of wire should do it, but would probably want to do a quick check of diagrams first,, replacing smoke can be a big job.

• Area Representative

Thanks Jonathan - yes have requested to join earlier today.

I know what you are all saying about getting the wiring sorted, but I'm not great with electrics and will probably end up frying myself! Was hoping for some kind of manual over-ride. You never know the forum you mention might come up trumps!