Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjusting Headlight Angle

essIII

Had my first night run the other night after having changed my headlight reflectors and bulbs.

The positive was that I could see the road ahead of me. The negative was that I blinded 90% of people coming towards me.

From what I've read, adjusting the headlight angle should be a simple job - loosen nut, change angle, tighten nut. So right now I'm feeling like a bit of a numpty - basically I can't get the angle right for getting at the nut with a spanner!

So, am I trying to do the right thing (pics of the nut I'm targeting below)? And any tips for getting at it easily?!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll16/rich8778/20151221_154346_zpsjeznrdcf.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll16/rich8778/20151221_154402_zpsy51xdcw7.jpg

Excellent, I'm happy on 2 counts - 1 I'm not the only one who's struggled, and 2 that looks like basically the tool I was imagining. I'll nick one of my dad's spanners over xmas and get the hack saw out!

Photo for the benefit of others (apparently 21mm spanner is the right size, but a 22mm will just about work)

spanner.jpg

• Area Representative
I confess it's a difficult operation, needing three hands (possibly four) holding the lamp steady whilst also getting the nut tight. If the little tang inside the housing bends (it's rather insubstantial in my experience) then it becomes seriuosly difficult. I remember the kids in Clapham used to twist the headlamps on GJT to "amusing" angles (the closest thing to vandalism I have experienced)