Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series with Rover immobilizer

Dixa1225

I have a Roadsport year 2000 that uses the rover lucas alarm system . I only have 1 remote for it and unable to disarm to start the car . The alarm ECU is making a ticking sound just like a flasher relay . Could this be the ECU ?? The remote battery has been replaced and I can get the ticking sound to stop by using the car. The car will not start.

Yes the immobilizer does respond to the fob but only to turn of the clicking sound from alarm ecu . The red immoblizer light stays on , I did manage to get the car started, but only the once . In answer to your second point , i believe I can hear the relays clicking inside. Just cannot disarm the immoblizer .

Many thanks for replying.

The ticking sound is a relay which in a Rover installation would be flashing all the indicators and sounding the horn. If you can turb this on and off with the key then you know the key is working and synchronised with the immobiliser. Even if the immobiliser had lost codi g sync with the engine ECU it would normally allow you to extinguish the immobiliser light but the engine would not run. If the immobiliser responds to the key but won't disarm it does sound as though it may be faulty - that is certainly unusual behaviour. You could try swapping with a known good immobiliser and matching key fob to see if the immobiliser then behaved normally, but you would then need the ECU and immobiliser pairing before the engine would run.

Let me know if you want me to help you with either an immobiliser or programming :)

Andrew

Many thanks Andrew. Managed to get the car to start ! The only thing that appears not now to be happening is the immobilizer not rearming itself when I turn the car off . Will try again tomorrow . Would you be able to assist in reprogramming a new remote ? Certainly need to get a spare!

The immobiliser is a CPU-based system - I guess it can get into unusual states just like any other computer. Maybe just powering it down for a while reset it. The other thing to know is that after changing the battery in a key fob, you often have to press the buttons on the fob several times repeatedly to get the rolling code system in the fob and immobiliser to synchronise again, although I doubt that had anything to do with your problem as you said it was responding to the key.

The immobiliser can be set to "passive arm" in which case it arms automatically after a number of minutes after you turn the car off or "active arm" in which case it is armed by the key fob only. It does sound as though yours may have a bit of a hickup and somehow switched out of passive arming mode.

Yes I can have a go at programming remotes for you. I've got some kit for doing it and I've done a few without any real problems (occasionally had to do them again) but I've also got a spare engine on a test rig with all the immobiliser system wired up so I can easily plug one in and test it.

You would need to send me the immobiliser box and all the fobs you want programming (the programming process erases memory of any existing fobs, so you would need to send me the existing one as well as the new one). You can get old fobs and nice replacement cases for peanuts on eBay. I'm happy to get the bits for you if you want, just pay me what they cost.

I think I can flip the passive arm mode back on too with the kit I have.

All of the above is on the basis of one club member trying to help another, I'm not a professional so I can't offer guarantees or anything but as I say I have never broken anything yet while reprogramming keys into immobilisers or immobilisers into ECUs. Happy to have a go if you want.

Andrew