Click here if you are having website access problems ×

waxoyl again

Chris W

I thought it might be helpful to post the current price of Waxoyl which I bought today from Halfords for my new SV.

Halfords do a kit containing 2.5L of the stuff together with a spray nozzle thingy for applying it for £28.95. I don't know how much is typically needed, so I bought an additional 2.5L for £12.95. Halfords will refund the amount of the second can if I don't happen to need it.

I asked Caterham today why they don't offer this as an option on factory built versions. The sales people agreed it would be a good idea, but interestingly implied it wasn't needed (they should read the archives!)and advised that I just spray the front wishbones with WD40 to protect them.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

COSHH assessment of slapping wax thinned with white spirit all over the place probably means they would rather you get covered at home.

I am about to embark on the same thing with my roadsport kit. By experiment, I reckon thin it about 50% with white spirit and melt the lumps by standing it in boiling water - hmmmmmm fumes. 😬 I am applying it with either old fashioned paintbrush or paraffin gun and compressor depending on where.

I have also discovered that you can run some into the bottom chassis tubes through the front lower wishbone bolt. It then leaks out through the rivets to show where it's got to.

Good to hear that works Mr Locust, I was hoping that it would be possible. I suppose to get it into the remaining tubes will require hole drilling.

Waiting for my BRG SV kit. 😬

(Superior Version) - 9 weeks to go!

Edited by - Tony C on 3 Feb 2003 21:14:31

I haven't verified if it will get all the way along yet but at first experiment the gun was blowing stuff in one bolthole and out the other.

It may just be going round the first bay of the chassis or it may be going round the whole lot - depends how the joints are configured. *confused*

this is such a sensible thing to do to a new car.

I have just spent 4 weeks covered in loose rust and flakey powder coat sorting out the chassis etc. (1995) on my car. Lots of Hammerite and waxoyl later. Nasty job that really should not be necesssary.

Still it's done now and I didn't even mind driving through half an inch of salt all the way to work today.