Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo needle "bouncing"

Burnside

Hey Blat Chatters, 

I recently purchased a 2004 1.6 Academy car - it came with an after market speedo (non-caterham) that takes it's speed from a sensor mounted close the front right wheel with "dot" (bad description I know) on the brake disc (I understand this is what the sensor registers against) - I also have the original Caterham part in a box. 

My question is can I have the original Caterham item fixed, not sure what was wrong with it but the chap said it simply failed to read speed OR should I get the current needle bouncer repaired? The current item also has a digital display but I think this is failing as it does not display numbers clearly. 

In all honesty I would prefer to get the original item repaired being a caterham item however I am not sure it'll simply swap out into place of the existing aftermarket item - I will look over the festive period to see what is what. 

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Paul 

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll get a photo over the weekend as the light by the time I get home is gone! :-) I will also adjust the sensor too - I am hoping it will be a simple fix and possibly the original part can be repaired.

Thank you 

Paul 

Hi Charles,

So you'll have more history about it than me then! lol (it's the one in my avatar)

Unfortunately I don't have the speedo drive - I would prefer to get it back to the original speedo with the Caterham branding to remain "original" but if it's not possible them I'll have to try and repair/replace the current unit.....which is unbranded. 

Do you know what would I need to return to the original speedo?

Thanks

Paul 

You might want to speak to Caerbont gauges about whether the Caterham speedo can accept a wheel speed sensor input. The pin out implies that it can, but I've never actually checked with them - and I would be interested in the answer! The Caterham speedo also has very limited calibration, so even if it can electrically, you might beed Caerbont to recalibrate it which is going to cost you £80.

To put it back as Caterham intended, you'll need gearbox drive gear in gearbox, and not capped. Top hat and speedo drive connected to gearbox drive gear. Speedo drive connected to loom. Other end of loom connected to speedo. Speedo working.....