Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

gearbox

doz

I have just got the gear box out of the car, it is a type 9 heavy duty pro-box running quife internalls obviously 5 speed I have been advised syncros are prone to go and you cannot rush this gear box when changing gear.

Can any body help what to do next?

Should I have this re-built or is there a better gear box to have i.e. Catherham 6 speed? which would be more reliable?

I have been told if I wanted sequenchial that it would be over 4,000.00 just need some advice.

Thanks Doz

The quaife catalog lists the many options they have for the type 9 box, or you could try the web site www.quife.co.uk. They make good stuff, so as long as you are happy with the ratios, I would have thought a rebuild would be your best bet. They can supply heavy duty synchro rings to replace the ford ones.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Doz, there have been a couple of threads recently on reviewing ratios you might want to check.

The 6 speed is a nice box but if you have tuned x-flow or VX do you need a 6 speed ?

Good 5 speed box with upgraded internals might be a cost effective solution and looks like you are already there ...

From the k-series I have driven ( SLR and 160 supersport ) both thrive on 6 speed boxes [ RRT often have 6 speeds available you might want to give Phil a call on 01959525105 ]

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1988 supersprint x-flow with a 4 speed box and a spare 5-speed Sierra box with a bell-housing to take a starter motor on either side. How difficult is it (honestly) to fit the 5 speed box. S ome say reasonably easy others say v.diff (needs welding & cutting etc.). I bought an engine crane in anticipation but can get my money back on it if I abort the project v.soon.

With 165 tyre on, I've also been advised to change to 175 tyres to almost give me the same effect as the 5-speed, is this sound? 🤔

Doz, I thought the Caterham 6 speed 'box had 1:1 top gear, and was designed more for the narrower power band of the "k" series in 1400cc guise, you may find that to much grunt would break it, as I imagine the gears would be narrower to get them in the same sized casing, could be talking total gonads here, just my thoughts.

Mike Jay, I got my 1982 Caterham modified from 4 to 5 speed, it weren't simple, as the gearbox mounting for the 5 speed is further back in the tunnel, admittedly I took the easy way out and returned the car, suitably dismantled, to Arch Motors, who did a great job, and didn't charge like they're trying to clear the national debt, end result definately worth doing, especially if your'e going on any long trips, down boring motorways, autobahns / stradas, get in touch if your'e needing more info, and have a look around on these forums, as this topic is often discussed,

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.