Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rear wing fastener set

KayTee

Hello, everyone !

I suppose most are know that Caterham still use steel bolts in order to attach the rear wings. If confronted with anything remotely solid (e.g. cones), the rear wings pull these out, including the rivnuts holding them and the surrounding aluminium panelling. Expensive repairs follow.

There is a tested and proven way to evade these: Polyamid bolts. 4-5 of them per side are strong enough to safely attach the wings, yet let go if confronted with, say, a cone or anything worse than that. A certain gentleman with an affection for Lotus Azure Blue Caterhams can tell you more about that *cool*

Now, I have sourced the components and put together the following rather versatile kit:

- 15 Polyamid M5 bolts of sufficient length (M5 x 20 or 25) (4-5 used to attach one wing)

- 20 stainless steel 5 x 30 load-spreading washers

- 15 stainless steel self-locking nuts, M5

- 10 GETO-WELL neoprene self'clamping 'rivnuts', vibration absorbing, brass thread portion, as seen here: http://www.konstruktionspraxis.de/sh/fachartikel/image/272155_f4546cd480.jpg

This way, one can

- use the original M5 rivnuts already in place using Poly bolts

- drill 5mm holes, and use Poly bolts, load-spreading washers and stainless self-locking nuts (no rust)

- slightly enlarge previous rivnut holes (if needed)/drill new ones and use GETO-WELL, no need for special tools and reducing transmition of vibrations, no rust, tracelessly removeable

- a mix of above options (GETO-WELL in inaccessible areas, washers in accessible places)

All this, including postage from Germany, for 7 quid.

Payment through PayPal, for example.

Anyone interested please contact me by e-mail: KT(AT)Kay(DASH)TEE(DOT)de

Cheers ! - Karsten

Edited by - KayTee on 3 Feb 2003 14:09:39

I am currently using 4 of these bolts for each rear wing that Roy B got the Hants (North) and Berks group a while back.

2 racers I know use velcro but I have seen both of these guys come in without wings! Not sure if there was contact or they just fell off.

What about the front wings? Anybody used nylon bolts on the front wings? You could have a replace

period as they may wiggle and wear.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Hmm, not too sure about front wings.

Cycle will wiggle and wear, and clams do experience quite a bit of lift, don't they ?

Still, five of the bolts on flared ones should be just fine.

Four on cycles ?

Though ... on cycles I'd use lens-headed stainless allen bolts, they look a lot better than these white hex headed Polyamid ones *wink*.

Cheers ! - Karsten

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest, folks !

I still have some of the components used in the kit at home, so you may just as well go ahead 😬

Here's a picture of one of the actual bags that went out:

http://www.kay-tee.de/WingBoltKit.jpg

7 quid/UKP/GBP including postage from Germany right to your door *cool*

Payment is easiest through PayPal, if you haven't got an account with them, yet, there's a $5 bonus in it, too *cool*

"Signing up for PayPal is easy. It takes two minutes, and you'll

even get $5 when you complete PayPal's new account bonus

requirements. To learn more, or get started, visit PayPal's

website at:

https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=KT%40Titgemeyer-Online.de

"

Hi ! *smile* Buy ! *cool* Now ! 😬

Cheers ! - Karsten *smile*

• 2 weeks later...

LOL ! Good idea *cool*

Though ... please hurry-up is you want/need them quickly, I am off to Egypt for a week on tuesday.

If I/we don't get the funds/posting sorted by monday afternoon, I will sort it out as soon as possible after coming back on wednesday next week.

Cheers ! - Karsten

Hi !

Which method of payment would you prefer ?

If PayPal.how about doing it in time for wednesday in a week ? It'll go out as quickly as I can arrange (has been the same or next day at the very latest in the past transactions).

All the best ! (Did meniton a 5* all-inclusive hotel at the Red Sea ? chacka, chacka ... *cool* )

Cheers ! - Karsten