Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R 300 160 HP against RKE 155 HP

eric

It is very easy to get a 1.8 K on throttle bodies to make 160bhp. They are "for real" horses and they won't all be up at the top end. I have done normalised power comparisons between crossflows and Ks before and there is no comparison. RK is also keen to point out the benefits of 16 valve heads, if he turns up or if you ask him.

You're wearing blinkers, Graham.

You can stick a K in a live axle chassis and get double benefit. 3d ignition does not cure the fact that an 8 valve head cannot breathe as well as a 16 valve head. That means that to get the same headline peak power figure the crossflow has to run more radical cam profiles while the K-series can run modest cam profiles that give it an even power delivery. It is not even close. 30% more power to the K through the mid-range.

I have answered the original question, based on fact. I won't feel a need to add further comment.

Graham & Anthony,

how dare you question the opinion of the great and all seeing Peter Carmichael???????

He is the man who knows everything and isn't embarrassed to tell you so!

Consider yourselves fully ticked off - based on the facts, I don't feel a need to add further comment 😬 😬

Graham

Don't tempt him to do that, I've seen his sticky tyres however I don't think they will fit his crossflow car as they are 7" fronts and 9" rears 😳 😬

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

Peter,

Yep, Boggo 175 Caterham VX (not even LSD) against one SLR not quite fully race prepped was v close lap after lap until he spun right in front of me but then he should have had 190bhp! No chance against Merrick on fresher rubber and a full 190 or even 200 bhp and fully race prepped. He be long gone!

Against lots of 155 RKE's and even a 180 odd all steel XF, I had the edge on power / grunt.

This was all at grunty old Lydden though...

My car was at about 515kgs inc fuel then.

On carbs I didn't really have any driveability problems in the dry. Had to be carefull in the wet though!

Flywheel comment accepted... I hope the regs will let me change it at the next convienient engine out....

I am going TB's and hope to get some more horses/driveability that way but still be in the standard engine internals class.