Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is Watts Linkage worth it?

Jon Stewart

Oh, so is that because the track is more likely to be smooth whereas the road bumpy ?

I followed the instructions and mounted mine in the lower hole:

image.png.28d7835525108b7b0820ab17ea10562b.png

Perhaps I should move it up then for road use ?

Edited by Ainsley

My 310R is used for road and track days. I changed mine from the R position to the S. Unfortunately I did it straight after buying the car so I can’t make a comparison. My reasoning was that I put more emphasis on it feeling better on the road (even if that compromises the track capability a bit). 

My 420R SV was recently in with Caterham for a few tweaks. I had been complaining of a banging sound when going over very bumpy roads as if the car was bottoming out maybe. Caterham told me my radius arms had been set to ‘S’ and should be set to ‘R’ and this would likely stop the noises i was complaining about. I’ve since had the car back and I think moving it from S to R has improved but not eradicated the horrible noise over potholes/ big undulations. Ive also taken it out on track since getting it back.

I must say I can’t really say that I have noticed any obvious difference in road or track handling since they adjusted from S to R position. It’s not obvious to me from looking at the geometry which difference in handling you should expect from switching between the two positions.

3 minutes ago, JAL73 said:

My 420R SV was recently in with Caterham for a few tweaks. I had been complaining of a banging sound when going over very bumpy roads as if the car was bottoming out maybe. Caterham told me my radius arms had been set to ‘S’ and should be set to ‘R’ and this would likely stop the noises i was complaining about. I’ve since had the car back and I think moving it from S to R has improved but not eradicated the horrible noise over potholes/ big undulations. Ive also taken it out on track since getting it back.

I must say I can’t really say that I have noticed any obvious difference in road or track handling since they adjusted from S to R position. It’s not obvious to me from looking at the geometry which difference in handling you should expect from switching between the two positions.

There will be two effects due to the ‘S’ position starting with the arms inclined down to the deDion and the ‘R’ position being level. First is in bump steer the car will turn away from the side that the bump is on in ‘S’ and towards the side of the bump in ‘R’. In cornering the car will turn more tightly into the corner as it rolls in ‘S’, but will be more neutral in ‘R’.