Click here if you are having website access problems ×

5 feet too small for a Caterham S3?

Hanns Per

Hanns Per     *wavey*   Margaret is 5'4", but has shorter than average legs, and can drive the CSR OK, Caterham moved seat runners forward slightly to help, I would have though moving runners and possibly moving pedals and she would be fine.

Tim

• Area Representative
As someone who is 5'6", with cars set up to match, I can confirm that women with a height of 5' can not even feel the pedals in a 21 (which has a longer cockpit than an S3). When I get the S3 Crossflow back I could repeat the test fitting (a month's wait).

I would consider how to relocate the pedals rather than pushing the seat ever closer to the steering wheel.

• Support Team

As Oliver says, Gill drives and sprints our car. She is 5'0" *yes*.

The pedals are in the closest position to the driver but I've played awith the adjustment so they don't sit too high. Gill has got used to lifitng her foot to get the brake and clutch but that could easily be resolved using a block or reversible panel as Peter suggested. Grip tape on the floor helps as well.

With Tillet seats at their furthest forward setting, Gill still has to use a foam pad which we've made up from camping mats cut to shape and stuck together - we have in the past used 2 part foam moulded to shape but it's never lasted that long. Years ago when we had leather S-Type seats, we removed the seat base and then used 2 part foam to make a new insert that moved the driver higher and closer to the wheel. This worked really well until the foam began to shrink.

It's definitely possible for a short driver to get a reasonable driving position, it just needs a bit of effort.