Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Crane - Advice/Feedback Please

Jim 123

I am thinking of buying one of these 1 Tonne Engine Cranes, which appears to be up to the job of moving a Caterham Engine and Gearbox (135Kg) into the chassis. I'd intend to use it during my Kit build. I've not come across this particular brand of garage equipment before, if anyone has experience of the Foxhunter brand of garage tooling, I'd appreciate any comments before I press "buy".

http://Ton-Tonne-Hydraulic-Folding-Engine-Crane-Stand-Hoist-lift-Jack-/380336470153

I bought my crane from KMS maybe 7 to 8 years ago and picked it up in person from their warehouses in Essex. Mine was unbranded and about the same price, same spec etc. etc. The red paint is thin and fades in the sun, I added a load of washers so that it is less wobbly, I've lost one of the R-clips holding one of the leg pins in place, have lent to several friends and club members for engine swaps and... it's been absolutely fine.

I'd would highly recommend a load leveller so that you can tilt the engine/box assembly about and wiggle it into the chassis. If you haven't got the space or understanding neighbours to rob garage space from, I'd say try and borrow a crane/leveller if you can, as it's not a tool that you aim to use once every few months. They just take up loads of room, especially in a single garage!

For 24 GBp you have a 2 tonne crane, a bit less foldable but you can lift the whole front with engine et all from the axle stands, then 1 person takes tha back while a 3th removes the axle stands

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Red-2-Ton-Tonne-Hydraulic-Folding-Engine-Crane-Stand-Hoist-lift-Jack-Wheel/120643752243?rt=nc&_soffid=100&_soffType=SaleAndClearence&_trksid=p5731.m3795

I have that one,  mine is Clarke branded, but I suspect it is identical. A leveler is very useful. As Elie notes, I have used it to lift both ends of the car when my floor jack popped a seal, not sure you need to go to the 2ton option as it is rated to 1000kg on the shortest arm length. Another plus is that it has a fairly small footprint when folded.

• Area Representative

Looks exactly like the one we have at the Busted Knuckle Garage and it works well. I think there are lots made in the same factory but just badged differently.

A load leveller isn't essentia but is handy. If you don't use one, suspend the engine and gearbox from a point in the centre of the cam cover and the engine and gearbox will assume the correct angle.

If you do use a leveller, make sure you put the winding handle at the gearbox end (as shown in John Vines pic)

All said above really but I bought mine from SGS engineering. A bit more expensive but by the look of the image on here the SGS one is a bit heavier built and has better wheels which may be important when pushing back.

I thought the quality was very good and the balance bar, as said is essential for what it costs. Being able to adjust the angle of the unit as you lower it makes a huge difference.

Having said all that you'd be welcome to borrow mine, I haven't used it since I built the car and that's all it's been used for! I'm in Norfolk, near Snetterton so probably not viable.