Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What wattage soldering iron...

Julian H

Crimps are more reliable than solder in an automotive application. Solder will wick down between the strands of the cable, making it stiff. Vibration will then concentrate stresses where the solder ends. In addition, unless you have access to industrial strength flux residue removal chemicals, the flux residue (which is acidic) will corrode the cable over time.

If you do go with solder, use a plumbers blowtorch rather than an electric soldering iron.

To solder big wires you need a big tip that will hold a lot of heat, something like a portasol gas iron with a 4.8mm tip will do the job (google it). Portasols are fantastic - standard issue for BT, or at least they used to be.

If you try and use a small electric iron the wire will just act like a heatsink.

Julian, if you're talking about the big cables to the battery then get them crimped at an automotive electrics place. Any tiny ones can be soldered if you want but again a good crimp of the right size is the best option in auto electrics.

I know somewhere in Maidstone that would do it economically if you popped in, but there ought to be somewhere more local to you.

Somewhere like Curd Brothers in T.Wells or maybe go to www.all-car-electrics.com workshops to avoid a call out fee? A quick google also brought up these guys in Hailsham that might be worth a visit (even just to see what they have in!) http://classiccarelectrics.co.uk/ 

If you're shortening the main cable that goes to the starter then I would suggest replacing the whole cable as the starter end can degrade a lot due to the heat from the primaries and be a significant contributor to the 'click' non-starting problem as it gets worse. (btw if you do change it, I'd be interested to take a good look and have a measure of the old one out of interest). 

Thanks for all the great advice. I will see if my father has a crimping tool [he worked in marine electronics] and if appropriate re-terminate. Ian, will I be able to see the deterioration of my original cable? I wonder if cutting the excess off at the starter would be more prudent?