Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dials.

Kingsley Young

• Area Representative

I am having my engine rebuilt and it has been suggested that I fit a dual dial of oil temperature and pressure which means that there would be one odd dial in the set. 

My quistion is can I buy dials to match using the standard sensors fitted by Caterham? The Car is a 1989 XFlow so speedo is cable drive. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

I have heard of people using one gauge to show oil temperature and water temperature by adding a toggle switch which connects to both senders. that way you can show water temp most of the time and then flick the switch when you want to check the oil temperature.

I hope this is of interest.

Duncan

Yes indeed. Same model of temperature sender does oil and water. My oil temp sender is in Apollo tank. Indicator toggle switch on dash under gauge with L/R horizontal action .... selects between water and oil temp ... displays on original temperature gauge.

Slap-ed,

Have a look here:

http://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/r400-duratec-wet-sump-measuring-oil-temperature

(Can't figure out how use the link tool on this poxy tablet!)

I mounted the toggle switch on the dash, between the temp and pressure gauges.

ETA: I see all my original links are bust.  You'll see what parts I used if you search the CC online store for the P/Ns I listed.

ETA2: To fix the link error (and a proper link)

JV

• Area Representative

I am still thinking more to fit a dual dial as my engine went "Pop"on the Rolling road ', which is thought to have been over heating issue so I want to keep an eye on temperatures when up and running. 

• Area Representative

Jonathan I have looked at the Racetech dials , there are not to many company's that do the dual

oil pressur / temperature gauge. I had considered replacing all three in the dash, but I will see how expensive the engine turns out to be. 

Pretty certain the gauge sizes are all the same Kingsley. Or you could go all hi-tech and replace the standard gauges with a single unit such as the eye wateringly expensive but nice Stack system.

The temperature on a crossflow is recorded in the thermostat housing and, so far as I am aware, the sensrs are usually pretty reliable. I wonder if the thermostat failed? Happened on my crossflow and, if the unit fails, it tends to do so in the closed position so the car overheats quickly. Happened on my car when driving up to Mallory Park on the Fosse Way - no prior warning, just noticed that the temperature gauge kept rising and so had to stop, remove the thermostat and carry on.

Not sure how that can be prevented other than keeping a eye on the temperature gauge at all times though. Anyone know how you can tell if a car is overheating - presumably watch out for steam and odd smells, but wouldn't the head gasket usually go before a piston melted?

Any racers or engine builders with experience of these things?

Andy

• Area Representative

Jonathan  when I get my car back I will be able to check the diameters , she is away having the engine rebuilt. 

Hi Andy hope all is well ? Dave the engine builder feels it may well be a problem with the carbs but I will get him to check or replace the senders. He has got to finish an engine he is building for the Paris to Peking rally, a BMW 2002 ti. From the 70s. Very interesting guy. He knows I have more or less finished for the year now. 

We Will be back !!!

Kingsley. 

KIngsley

I have an SPA digital gauge

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1771&g=246424&p=17516&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Gauges%20-%20Auxiliary&gclid=CjwKEAiAmqayBRDLgsfGiMmkxT0SJADHFUhP4anPPKdeUsR3-Ms13mnht0nVAKh2HaYeNgd9c9Ed0RoCARbw_wcB

Pressure and temp are displayed at the same time. You can set up low pressure and high temp warning lights and you can also fit warning buzzers  

I have my low pressure set at 25psi and high temp at 115c. Both are connected to super bright LED's

Very nice bit of kit but of course is doent match the CC ones.