Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tin Top tyre size help; please

flaps7

My car is currently fitted with 215/70R16 tyres and this is the size recommended for the car but I would like to consider a change in profile to tyre size 215/65/R16. I appreciate the reduced overall diameter / ride height but are there other considerations that mean I should stick with the size currently on the car? The car is a C-Crosser so ride height is really not a worry. The reason for thinking about changing profile is that some tyres are cheaper in 65 and some tyres are only available in 65.

Rick

if you went to215/65 R17 you would keep diameter in spec, but not sure if would help with tyre prices, Think manufacturers say 2% change in Diameter maximum, so I guess your proposed change -3% would technicaly invalidate your comprehensive insurance, might have some effect on ESP/Traction control, possibly cause some oversteer.  general change to steering geometry. 

Tim

Good point about insurance.

All 4 tyres at the same time, calibration doesn't seem too bad and could live with reduced fuel consuption, don't think I would notice the change in diameter (although ca't be sure). Have considered winter tyres/wheels but not a cheap option. Got myself a shovel and snow socks for those more challenging conditions.

Think will keep with size I have; don't want to give insurance company any more wriggle room than they find already.

Thanks for input.

Rick