Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat height Tillet query

Mucus72

I sat in (potentially) my next Caterham today and felt a little too high in the seat. My current car has lowered floors and I then installed a bag seat, replacing the base of the S-Type seat. Which was awesome, and I felt fully in the car, and more connected.

I was wondering if you can remove the seat runner from the Tillet, and fix directly to the already lowered floor? Mainkly becuase the TIllet overall felt very comfortable, and it would be a shame to rip and replace with a bag again.

And if so, has anyone done this, and what is the height drop please?

Like most things in life, Im only looking for an inch or two.

Thanks all!

Marcus

Found your comment on page 13 of the weight loss thread Lawrence! I see you are down 1 inch. I'm a little bit of a numpty though. I want to go as far back and down as physically possible. You said that you went through existing holes (if I understood correctly) I guess in the floor itself. I imagine I would have to drill new holes at the right point?

Hi Marcus,

I am 6 foot and it is ok for me. With the seat angled back I don't think there is much room between it and the bulk head. I have moved the steering wheel towards me a little and still could move the pedals back if required.

I think I would try in the lowered floor pan holes first because the further you move the seat back the less you can angle it. The angle contributes significantly to the reduction of head height. 

I can take a few photos if that helps. 

Thanks Lawrence. I was wondering that instead of stacking spacers, if one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/seat-mounting-frames-universal/tillett-seat-mounting-brackets-for-tillett-b6f-b7-seatsTillett runner sets would be the best (more expensive of course) solution. I have no prior knowledge of Tillett's so have been on their web site and made a guess that Caterham seats are B6F ones. This would give the ability to try multiple angles. I would hope that at its lowest rear setting, the base would be pretty much on the floor. Has anyone done this? Lawrence, per your kind suggestion of some photos, maybe yes, but no need right now. I have to buy my next Caterham first, and I'm at twitchy trigger finger stage. I may well come back to you shortly!!

The standard Caterham tilletts are not shown on the tillett product range and are only available through Caterham. The mounting holes on them are horizontal, so you would have to make up some brackets to adapt between them and the supports. Also, I am not sure you would have room to fit them unless you are buying an SV. 

I have used rubber exhaust bobbins to mount a passenger Tillett.

I think they were from a Clio - they are about an inch thick and have the correct meetric thread to screw into the existing captive nut in the Tillett base.

You can then drill holes in the floor where appropriate.