Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.8 k-series noise

HeMan

Hello all,

I have just had a Powerspeed 4-2-1 fitted to my 1.8 k-series. It has been through DVA and has been dynoed at 180bhp.  With the old pipes I have been to Bedford and others and never had any noise problems at all. Powerspeed said the new pipes would sound different but be no louder and they measured it at about 1m at 6,000rpm and said he saw 97db before I left.

However, recently at Donington during a 98db limit day, I tripped the track-side sensors at 98.8db!  I am not sure how they managed to measure 98.8db from a track-side distance when Powerspeed recon it was only 97db up close?  It does sound deeper, not offensively loud as such, but louder than the old pipes in my view.

The question is, what are my options at this point?

Take it back and get Powerspeed to do something (what)?

Re-pack it with Acousta-Fil Boa or something?

Do the DB Killers work (even if just in my toolbag as an emergency fix if it comes to it)?

Yes, Powerspeed fitted it themselves (well Fast road conversions or whatever it is they call themselves, but I think thats the same place isn't it?).

Nope, DVA did their bit back in 2010.  I did visit raod'n'track for a mapping afterwards though.

I did, and to be fair they have asked me to drive it back down, but they made a comment that they would look at induction noise and cam timing and gave the impression they didn't think it could possibly be the exhaust. I am happy to do it, but its another day off work and a lot of driving, so I wanted to know there would be something to do when I get there...

Yeah true, but that shouldn't have changed should it (i.e. due to a new exhaust and a re-map)?

My feeling is the noise change is coming from my left ear and is exhaust noise, not the right, where the intake is.  I also have a black plastic box over the intakes which I assume is to keep them quiet.  I am no expert though...