Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow Choke?

m1key

Hello again, back with a another newbie 7er question...

According to the hand book the Xflow doesn't have a choke. However, on the bulkhead just to the right of the steering wheel there's a lever/knob (exactly the same as the heater regulator) that connects to both the carbs - so what is it? Pulling it out seems to stop the engine - fuel cut-off?

All help greatfully appreciated and thanks for the advice regarding compression ratios, the cars booked in to see Caterham in mid-feb, here's hoping that it won't cost a fortune.

Mike S

Webbers do have a choke facility, it just isn't normally connected, if you have a cable connected to the carbs, then it is connected on your car.

I have had a xflow for 6 years and never needed a choke!

On another note, if you are taking your xflow to Caterham to look at, you must need your head looking at, any mechanic worth his salt can sort out a xflow, failing that, if you must pay someone to do the work, take it to James Whitting or Ratrace *biggrin*

Ah yes, but the car came from Caterham and is still under warranty, so that's why it's back to them - hopefully the problem will be covered.

I'll have another look at the choke next time I'm out - it certainly didn't seem to help starting (the damn thing wouldn't start with it out!) and as you say it hasn't been necessary anyway.

Thanks for the pointers.

I guess the confusion is that webers have a "cold start enrichment mechanism", not a choke. The mechanism is actuated by a lever at the back of the carb, almost over the manifold. On most performance engines, anything more than the tiniest application will kill the engine by flooding it, which is why most sevens do not have it connected.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far