Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec R400: leaking oil cooler hose

John Vine

Having noticed a couple of oil spots on the garage floor under the nosecone, I investigated -- to find that one of my oil cooler hoses has sprung a small leak.  It's weeping out of the crimped joint at the oil-cooler end:

Hose(long)foroilcooler--DuratecR400(38C044A)--showingleakpoint.jpg.88cc53c4eba1a9ccc1e54eed5842975c.jpg

I'm assuming that this would be unrepairable.  The oil cooler is a Mocal, mounted in front of the rad.

The CC part appears to be 38C044A.  Can anyone confirm this, please, before I get in touch with CC tomorrow? 

JV

Well, I called in at a (relatively) local hydraulic hose place today.  Ah, he said, I stock suitable hose material, but I can't re-use your existing fittings as they're an old design (something about a different sealing collar).  He said he could machine one of his collars to fit.  All-in cost for the hose would be £30.  Given that a new one from CC is £22, I decided not to proceed.  There are other places not so local that I may try.  In the meantime, I've ordered from CC.  One thing he did say was that the 90-deg elbow should not move or rotate in its joint.  Mine does, which may account for the slight leak.

JV 

All-in cost for the hose would be £30.  Given that a new one from CC is £22, I decided not to proceed.

Just the information I was waiting for. But there have been lots of instances where local hose fettlers have saved the day, and we do seem to have a blind spot about them.

Jonathan

Two new CC-supplied hoses now fitted.  It's amazing how flexible they are compared to the old ones.  And the 90-deg elbows definitely do not turn in their joints.

Interestingly (worryingly!), the old hoses had been fitted incorrectly by Marcassus in Toulouse when they rebuilt my clutch.  Instead of running under the steering rack, they'd been laid over the top, and were rubbing against the N/S track-rod gaiter.  I imagine that would constitute an MOT failure?  I'm also left wondering whether the strain of the tighter bend contributed to the leak.

JV