Click here if you are having website access problems ×

horn works only when steering wheel is slightly to the right

Hanns Per

cant find whats going on, the horn only goes when I turn the steering whee to the right, there is a position when it starts. When I go back to straight it stops again. I does not work when I shortcut the contact pin to the steering wheel. Its not the cable from the pin to the block, crazy?

thks hanns per

I'd check first that it always works when you short that wire to a good earth somewhere else. That will make sure that we're looking at the right bit. 

Is there a specific earth wire from the column? If so clean and reconnect. 

Can you take a photo of the contacts on the wheel?

Jonathan

Hans

You will probably find that the "rotary horn slip ring" is the problem, the brass slip ring is just glued to the plastic boss and eventually breaks free causing shorting problems.  The component is here:

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1298

I had to replace two.  You must have an older CSR because CC have not fitted a central horn push button since at least 2012 and possibly earliier and they reverted to the dash mounted button ... probably because of problems with that component but they won't admit it.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread as it's pretty applicable.

Yesterday I turned a right corner and my horn came on and stayed on, quite embarrassing as cars thought I was aiming it at them until I was able to pull over, it only stopped when I pulled the fuse, pressing the horn button (in steering wheel), moving the steering wheel made no difference.  

Even after the fuse was pulled I could hear clicking (Is this normal relay behaviour or could this be the cause)?

Thanks

Alex

This "sounds" (excuse pun) like an old CSR problem but you don't say what your car is? 

You will probably find that the "rotary horn slip ring" is the problem, the brass slip ring is just glued to the plastic boss and eventually breaks free causing shorting problems.  The component is here:

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1298

large_Horn01b.jpg.470c252a46e3a9fbe848b58100c9f04c.jpg

Hi Blue, does this ring take the live feed to the horn? If so where is the earth return feed? Had a 'no horn' issue on a csr his weekend and the only 'cure' was to earth the steering column with a new separate wire.

All additional knowledge would be happily received.

It was happening "clicking" intermittently, not when pressing the horn.

I do have a multimeter but I'm a novice when it comes to electrical issues.  If I can see it I can fix it but wires are another level.

I was wondering if it was a simple relay issue prior to stripping the steering wheel down. 

Blue - car is a 2004 academy.   

Thanks guys - helpful as ever.

Well I have not seen a K series with a horn button in the centre before, they were usually removable Momos.  Your issue could be different to the one on my CSR.  As Jonathan suggested you could try a new relay before dismantling the steering wheel boss.

When my problem occurred I could hear a scraping noise as I turned the steering wheel, which was the copper ring scraping against the boss after detaching from the assembly.

Madmalc ... it is such a long time ago now I just don't recall the set up for certain but I have a vague idea that pressing the horn button completed the circuit to activate the horn relay. 

On my last two CSR's the horn button is still in the centre of the steering wheel but is not connected up, instead there is the button on the dashboard.  CC said that they had so many problems with copper ring detaching from assy. that they resorted to the standard dash button.

I'll try the relay as it's the quickest but I do think it's definitely connected to movement of the steering wheel.  It did it very briefly a couple of months ago when I pushed on the steering wheel, it then stopped and wouldn't do it again, so didn't think too much of it.

Do I need to unscrew the steering wheel or does the horn button come out if prized with plastic levers from the front?

Motolita from original build sheet ;-)  

Steeringwheelbuildsheet.JPG.82796d9fd08e7f11b979cd27407b8a32.JPG 

I have not seen a K series with a horn button in the centre before, they were usually removable Momos. 

it is such a long time ago now I just don't recall the set up for certain but I have a vague idea that pressing the horn button completed the circuit to activate the horn relay. 

My 1998 1800 K looked just like that picture...until I changed it to a removable Momo with a button on the dash. :-)

And it is the type that takes a relay terminal to earth through the steering column.

Do I need to unscrew the steering wheel or does the horn button come out if prized with plastic levers from the front?

Amended: See #23 and #25.

Jonathan

My horn button just prizes out but to remove the boss I required a steering wheel boss extractor tool with my present car.  With previous cars I was able to just remove the central securing nut and east the boss and wheel off the splines.  Make a note / mark the original position of the boss so that it is replaced straight.

Amended:

The horn button can be removed without anything else. But to get to the horn contact ring the wheel and boss must be removed, see #23 above. Usual facial precautions.

Jonathan