Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommendations for 1st and 2nd gear ratios

Drumster

Since the box will be out of the car for a bit it's probably time to upgrade my 5 speed box from the standard ratios of 1st 3.36 and 2nd 1.81 to something with longer ratios. I have a 3.92 diff. 

Anything longer has to be a massive improvement but how long should I go with the 1st. As the car is used for sprints and the road I know whatever I choose it will be a compromise, but what would you all recommend? 

• Leadership Team

Hi Chris,

I don't know how the torque curves and max revs vary between the Zetec and the Xflow, but when I had my 5 speed ratios changed, I sought lots of advice (and played with gearcalc over many evenings!) and settled on what they called the "sporting close" E7 gearset which is 2.75 1.75 1.26 1.0 0.86.  It certainly was a great improvement over the standard.

I went for the Quaife alloy box at the same time which has the filler in the lid and lops a few kg off.  I didn't have an improved drain plug or dipstick fitted, but in hindsight, probably should have done while I had the chance. 

All the best,

When I upgraded the gearbox on my Xflow car, I went for these ratios:

1st = 2.5

2nd = 1.64

3rd = 1.22

4th = 1.00

Admittedly I had limited choice on the ratios, I was running a 4 speed box.  I adored those ratios.

In my VX, I went a bit more extreme.  The ratios are:

1st = 2.2

2nd = 1.54

3rd = 1.21

4th 1.00

5th 0.82

I am running a 3.92 diff.  The ratios are great.  Nice and close together.  I have no problems at all pulling away with a realtively high 1st gear.  It really suits the engine.  And I can pull 60+ mph in first gear. *eek*  That brings a grin to my face..

I spent a lot of time with rolling road data mapping the gear change points with different ratios.  The result is very good, but not perfect.  

Thanks guys,

It seems the E7 is popular looking back through the archives, but the SPC box with

1st 2.482, 2nd 1.61, 3rd 1.225, 4th 1.1, 5th 0.82 or 0.87

sounds enticing and is closer to the spec that Skip mentions.

I'll have a chat with Phil at RRT as he has offered me a drive in his 7 with similar ratios to the SPC.

I'd love an alloy casing etc but I can see this insurance rebuild 'upgraditus' getting expensive. Did I mention new dampers *eek*

And if you see Maggie then all these upgrades don't even reach the 4 figure mark *whistle*