Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine Installation Sigma

Jim 123

I will be building an S3 Kit in the near future.  I have ordered a 1.6 Sigma Engine with 5 Speed Box. 

The Build Manual states that the Engine and Gearbox should be connected together, and then both should be dropped into position using a hoist - Pretty obvious I suppose.  

However, a couple of different sources, who are experience in working with Caterhams, have said that it is easier to fit and centre the Gearbox first, and then afterwards lower the Engine into position.  The Engine can then be bolted to the Bell Housing before the Engine Mounts are torqued down.

With my workshop, things are going to be space and height restricted when it comes to dropping in the main power train.  I'd appreciate any advice on the 2 courses of action open to me please.

Hi, I built a Sigma 125 inside a small size Airchamber, so don't worry you'll be able to do it.

I had a height limit too, so I changed the build order, so I had a rolling chassis before installing the engine with the gearbox. With the car on its wheels you can move the car as well as the hoist and it is much lower than on axle stands.

Mating the engine to gearbox can be quite tricky lining up the gearbox shaft, so would be easier outside the car. Remember to put some sealant on the paper gasket that goes between the box and bell housing.

Duncan

One thing to consider if fitting the gearbox and engine together, I was given a platic plug by Caterham to fit the propshaft end of the gearbox. This let me fill the gearbox with oil before fitting to the car which saves a lot of hassle trying to fill it once fitted. Hopefully these two photo links will work:

Gearbox stopperGearbox stopper in position

Once fitted, I also taped the plug so that it would not fall out!

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r538/underhay/003_skcc/engine_installation_3.jpg

Here's a picture of the engine going in, the load leveller is a great piece of kit.

One more thing, remember to put the prop into place before fitting the diff. I don't think you can do it afterwards!