Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K seires overheating

Simon_hill

After picking up my 1.4K SS yesterday (which has had a new ali radiator fitted by Caterham) and going out for a drive today, some of the coolant dumped itself all over my screen and me. I phoned up Caterham who said to bleed the radiator (which I did as best I could and which did release some air). This seemed to solve the problem, however, later in the day, the same thing happened and the temp on the gauge shot up to over 100. I stopped and filled the system with water, took the nut off the top of the rad and ran the engine until water came out.

I then restarted, but within a couple of mins, the temp had shot up again. I checked the rad but there was no air, the top hose and top of the rad were hot, but below that, the rad was stone cold, as was the water in the expansion tank.

What I don't understand is why there appears to be no air coming out, but the temp rises so fast (from about 60 to 100 in about a minute).

I've read some of the other threads and there seems to be some discussion of whether the expansion tank cap needs replacing after it has released coolant, so I'm not sure if this would help.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated as I'm away from home and I'd like to get back tomorrow!

Thanks in advance,

Simon Hill

• Leadership Team

Assuming everything was ok before it went to Caterham - take it back. They fitted the rad, they messed with the coolant, they charged you good money for doing it. Takes about 15 minutes to swap a rad, the rest of the labour they charged you was to fill and bleed the system PROPERLY.

BTW, you shouldn't really add water to the system. If the correct coolant has been used (Rover 4 Year or Comma Coldstream) this comes pre-mixed and should be used undiluted - it's propylene glycol NOT ethylene glycol, which can damage ali engines (and rads?) in the long run.

Stu.

Sounds like caterham have not bled the system correctly .you may be better to get them to collect the car and do the job. just incase the thermostat is jammed or there is a more serious problem { now }. specially if the car was ok, before the new radiator was fitted . *mad*

I agree with all the threads about getting Caterham to sort it out, but being pragmatic, have you tried taking the thermostat out in case it's defective. A jammed shut thermo would cause the water temp to rise dramatically very quickly. Just a thought.

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

Agree Back to Caterham *mad* *mad* But the problem is it's airlocked and you arn't getting any circ.

1) Have you a heater? if so jack the car up so as the header tank is the highest part of the cooling system [ Yes it will run at that crazy angle!!] and loosen off one of the hoses at the heater control valve.

2) Then the radiator bleed screw and keep the car running till the bottom hose [ the one from the submarine] gets hot.... at all times keeping the header tank topped to the level line.

3) Check the bleed hose from the cylinder head to the header tank is passing water if not drill out the one way valve where the hose attaches to the head.

Guarantee you it will now work as planned. 😬 *cool* *wink*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 1 Feb 2003 23:11:44

• Leadership Team

If the thermostat wasn't sticking before it aint sticking now. get on the phone and tell them you want it fixing. You've had a job done, and that job should carry a warranty *eek*

We're not talking back street garage that works on every car under the sun and charges you hourly until they find the fault. This is the manufacturer - they know what they're doing and should get it right first time, every time. This is not a learnng curve for Caterham, they know all the tricks in the book to bleed the system properly - leave it to them. And don't let them bill you twice.

Stu.

I agree with Stu Simon *thumbup*

Even assuming it can be fixed by fiddling around with it, there might be an deeper underlying problem with the radiator. Firing coolant at you doesn't sound good *thumbdown*

I urge you, whatever the inconvenience, give it back to Caterham to sort out.

If you need a lift or anything, give me a buz on 01296 682054 - no obscene phone calls guys!

Cheers,

Tony

Waiting for my BRG SV kit. 😬

(Superior Version) - 9 weeks to go!

Simon

Totally agree with Jonty. If it is possible try that and see if it works. I understand your in the Liecs area anyway this weekend and ringing Chris at Caterham and getting it back in there may be the best solution. If you get stuck youv'e got my number.

What I cant understand is that when we drove back on Friday there wasn't a hint of a problem. If it was an airlock problem I thought it would have come to light then?

Anyway good luck

*thumbup*

Thanks for you help and advice guys. We tried doing as you said Jonty, but htere seemed to be so much air coming out, that we gave up (not wanting to damage the engine as it kept shooting up to 100) and called the breakdown recovery people. He did the same, but persisted with it and it was spot on after he'd finished with it. Untilhalf way down the motorway when it started going up to 90. This time I bled it and released some of the air, but it's still not right! Will have to look at it properly/take it back to Caterhm next weekend as I'm away all week

Thanks again for the advice

Simon

Simon

This is exactly what the car was doing some 2 years ago, when I owned it. I never did manage to bleed it properly & interestingly neither did the factory! I took it to Ministers in Lordswood they suggested that the head would need to come off for a look. After a complicated month back at the supplying dealer the problem seemed to be fixed & the car was traded in for a TVR.

Would be interested to hear what Caterham have to say about the problem

Good luck

Simon

Simon,

If you run the engine hot without a pressurised system you stand a chance of damaging the engine.

Why was it in getting a new radiator anyway? Has the car had previous cooling problems?

People having this much trouble with bleeding is a bit of a mystery to me. As long as the circuit is sufficiently full to circulate, the air will collect in the top of the radiator. You stop the car. Let it cool off, raise the nose and open the bleed. Air comes out.

If you are continually bleeding more and more air, that means it gets into the system somewhere. Prime suspect is the bleeding process in the first place. Second suspect is the heater. Third suspect is hose leak. Fourth suspect is an emergent head gasket issue.

The thermostat is set at 88 degrees anyway, so you shouldn't see less than this ever, apart from cold starts. The gauges are rubbish however, so very often indicate ~80 degrees (when the running temp is more probably 90 degrees).

This could also be a case of Johnty's favourite - thermostat bounce because of the cold weather. This will sound counter-intuitive, but try blocking off one third to one half of the radiator.

Thanks PC I've heard of this but wanted to confirm that it's the right thing to do for a K as I think I've only seen it mentioned WRT VXs and their lack of thermostat.

Reckon you're right though 'cos Kermit's been getting a lot warmer in this cold weather... Fan even came on in traffic the other day.

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

Edited by - charlie_pank on 3 Feb 2003 17:37:01

I agree with other posters. Caterham should have got it right in the first place. If not, they can have it back to fix properly. I hope you have more luck than me, mine (1.4 Kss) was a head gasket. In the end I took the plugs out and cranked the engine. When it spat dirty water over the garage floor I knew the worst. Good luck.