Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dont take the mickey....

Red SLR

Daft question it may seem but....... I want to take all 4 wheels off my 7 and have it on axle stands for a few hours whilst I spray on some goo to protect the underside.... anybody tell my the best way to do this so I dont mess it up and drop the car onto the floor or bend anything.

Ta

Simon

X777CAT

Do you have a trolley jack? They make the task much easier.

Jack the rear of the car first (I don't know why but that's what Hyperion told me) with the jack in the middle of the car (ie in line with the number plate) where a few of the chassis/suspension bits meet (I hope I'm not getting too technical for you!)

Once it's high enough, slip the locked axle stands under the chassis bits near the wheels.

Then jack up the front under the towing eye - this is off centre, but again what Hyperion told me.

Be sure the axle stands are locked with their retaining pins, on firm ground, stable, etc.

If you're getting under the car you may, like me, be a tad nervous - a 7's lightness is relative! Once the axle stands were in place, I put a scissor jack and the trolley jack under jacking points, though not taking any load. I also only went under the car when a friend was present.

Me, scared?!

Something I was taught years ago by a friend who worked for a local garage, was to put the wheels that you have just taken off under the chassis. That way if the stands fail for any reason, the chassis will land on the tyres and cushion the blow to your chest.

However, doing this on a Seven may buckle the chassis rails if you are unlucky, but that would still be better than buckling your ribs.

Cheers,

Graham

Simon, either call round or give me a fax number and I will send you a picky of the places to support the car. I also have 4 axle stands and a trolley jack plus a small hydr. jack if you need it. I simply jack mine up on the front towing eye. Put an axle stand under each locating point at the front and gently drop the car into place. At the rear I use a hydr. jack under the nearside chassis jacking point, left of the tank and as close as you can get to the nearside chassis rail and when high enough put the trolley jack under the axle. Raise until the axle stands go under the point where the hydr. jack was and locate one here and one in the same place on the offside. When lifting the front make sure its in gear & have brake on. If you lift the rear first put something under the two front wheels.

Alternatively give me a call and I'll come round to yours if its not pissing down. thumbsup.gif

The tyre idea is a very good one. I don't think a shock load on a jack would be a good idea. I ensure that if anyone is around they know how to use the jack (you'd be surprised.., the jack's under or near the car where it isn't going to get damaged and that the valve is closed / extension bar next to it etc. So if the car did fall the gap created by the tyres should be enough to get the jack under somewhere and release any pressure on me.

You can get bars made up that fit to the top of your trolly jack and then locate on the strongest part of the chassis. This allows you to have the jack centrally placed for balance but still use the reccomended lifting points. I think Demon tweeks sell adjustable ones. I find it a problem to get the jack underneath the car in the first place.

Keep your mobile underneath with you as well....

And if you are on your back with any liquids (goo) nearby then wear a hat - I once tipped a tin of grey primer over onto the mat I was lying on. It put 50 years on me...

Piers

All

Thanks for the advice, John - If you are at The Ring "O" Bells then you can show me the points?

Julain - I am spraying it with metal protector which is used on trucks and hydrolic eqpt, it is basicaly thick WD40. I can get it trade if you want. Will you be at the Ring O Bells tomo?

Have you thought about my security device?

Ta

Simon.

X777CAT

Cant make it tomorrow, go a work do to go to, unfortunately.

I'm going to just use the unplugged coil and crank sensor as the imobiliser, but thanks for the offer though.

So does this WD40 stuff stay on permanently or does it need renewing every now and again.

Whats its official purpose?

Its official purpose is metal protector / lubricator.

I will probably use waxoil after my car has been re-sprayed, but I am just using this stuff as a temporary measure as I would say it will only last for a couple of months.

Simon.

X777CAT

• Leadership Team

Simon,

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "water displacement". It was developed by the American space agency (in the '50s I think)as a water repellent formula to protect mechanical and electrical equipment. Possibly it has not been bettered since. Because of its' water repellent properties, the film it leaves will protect particularly well against condensation - probably the 2nd biggest evil to the 7 after salt. Use it by the bucket load!!!

Stu.