Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spot painting of rear arches

Steve-B

i've blasted on both wheel arches a fair bit of paint to the outboard sides of the gravel guards the paint, from gravel on roads in the alps. being as its down to the gellcoat fibreblass, and very low, should i just do a light sand and touch up by hand, or do i need to go the whole spreay shop routine?

i've got some spare paint in a pot so its not a hige area. but from sailing experience you need to apply a clear gel coat, and then sand it smooth and then paint over that.

correct 🤔

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

It all depends on the finish you want, if it's only the paint thats gone you can sand it down and do a spot repair, however if the gelcoat is damaged you have to repair this first with clear gelcoat and sand this down first before you put any paint on and that is undercoat and finish.

Personally i take them off and have them respayed completely.

On the recommendation of a vehicle refinisher I occasionally get a rag with some paint and dab it on the paint chips. I let it set and T-cut it. I does not give a perfect finish by any stretch of the imagination, but at least it's sort of all the same colour (on my red car the stone chips show up as white). You will always get stone chips here, best not to worry about it too much.

If you are going fast enough nobody will see it anyway. 😬

Whatever you do you will get the stone chips again if you drive your car.

AMMO

Edited by - ammo on 1 Feb 2003 23:55:19

I've given up worrying about this. My rear wings are white outside the protection of the shield and the car is dark blue so it really shows.

But at least people can see that the car is used and not one of these 'laid-up half the year' jobs.'

Jerry Parker

L7SVN

1.4 Supersport