Click here if you are having website access problems ×

battery acid

Richards 7

For reference you can't use acid from an old battery.  As a battery discharges the sulphor in the sulpuric acid reacts with the lead plates, creating lead sulphate and water.  When you charge the battery the process is reversed and the H20 turns back into H2SO4.

Batteries generally fail either because the plates are mechanically damaged (e.g. through overcharging/heat) or because they've been left discharged (lead sulphate and water) which allows the sulphur to crystalise.  The more time a battery spends at less than 100% charged the faster this will happen, hence why continuous chargers make batteries last for ever-ish.

For reference you can't use acid from an old battery.  As a battery discharges the sulphor in the sulpuric acid reacts with the lead plates, creating lead sulphate and water.  When you charge the battery the process is reversed and the H20 turns back into H2SO4.

Batteries generally fail either because the plates are mechanically damaged (e.g. through overcharging/heat) or because they've been left discharged (lead sulphate and water) which allows the sulphur to crystalise.  The more time a battery spends at less than 100% charged the faster this will happen, hence why continuous chargers make batteries last for ever-ish.

Just to clarify the chemistry...

It's not the sulphur that reacts with the lead (and lead dioxide) but the sulphate ions (SO4--).  When the battery is charged, the reverse occurs: lead sulphate and water revert to sulphuric acid and lead (and lead dioxide).  When sulphation occurs, it's not the sulphur that crystallises but the lead sulphate.

JV

I've had this problem with all my previous batteries. The guy at the battery outlet here tells me I need a dry cell. We found a Harley-Davidson battery that will fit and has 700 amps vs 400 for the previous ones. It is working great so far. I just had to make some slight modifications to the battery holder.